Question on Turn Signal Relay - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Turn Signal Relay

Yes, my signal indicator dash lamp functions correctly. It's been a couple years since I installed the switchbacks, so memory is not perfect. I just followed the instructions. I do remember there was a relay in my kit, that I had to install.

I'd bet the LED's don't have enough resistance to make your self canceling feature work.
    Think long and hard before you ad a inline resister to your circuit, they get so hot they'll burn you & I've heard of them catching on fire. I had one on my 1700 Road Star, I soon took it off because of the heat / possible fire issue.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    I'd bet the LED's don't have enough resistance to make your self canceling feature work.
    Think long and hard before you ad a inline resister to your circuit, they get so hot they'll burn you & I've heard of them catching on fire. I had one on my 1700 Road Star, I soon took it off because of the heat / possible fire issue.
    Agreed I put them on my pickup truck and they just barely touched another wire and goodbye to that, I added some wire and screwed them into a frame piece where there's nothing to burn. The box said they get hot, what an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Looking at the schematics, I don't see how the turn signal relay could do this. But, it still seems to be the most likely cause??

The cancel circuit is at least partially working if you can push the turn signal button and cancel the turn signals. So it is not completely hosed. The circuit needs the speed pulse signal to work automatically. I don't see how that could have changed?

Because nothing makes sense here, I would swap back the original relay first and see what happens. You changed the relay (flasher) that is in the nose of the fairing, right?

Rather than waiting for a replacement, I modified my original relay to work with LEDs. You have to cut it open, remove the circuit board inside, and cut a trace to the chip (I think pin 7). Then RTV it back together. If the relay turns out to be the problem, and you choose to modify yours, I can help you do that.

Good luck!
    I put the factory relay back in sunday and then of course it started to rain, I'm going to test drive tonight and see what happens, I'll post up tomorrow.
    I also checked the thing inside the neck of the bike, sorry forgot the name, my service manual said to check that, not to hard to get to and everything looked healthy. The bike only has 2200 miles on it.

Okay, let us know ... It will be interesting to see if the flasher/relay can cause this problem.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Okay, let us know ... It will be interesting to see if the flasher/relay can cause this problem.
    Sorry guys the weather up here sucks, finally got around to riding and putting the factory relay back on. It gave me back the automatic shutoff feature. So cross referencing it to one on Amazon that works with LED's is what I ordered and should arrive today so I can put it on this weekend and see if everything works. Stay tuned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

forgot to add, no shut off issues, or any kind of lights on the dash. Just have the rapid flashing back.

I ordered my smoked lenses, LED lights, and relay thru Wingstuff. Installed it, works but sometimes after I cancel my turn signal, the white LEDs won’t come on. At night it’s not a big deal because I notice the loss of light on the side of the road, but daytime, I have no clue. Usually pushing the turn signal cancel button fixes the issue.

The rapid flash may be illegal d/t mimicking an emergency vehicle. Just a guess.

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

"the white LEDs won’t come on"

If you're referring to some sort of daytime running light function, I have an identical issue. After much hair-pulling, wire tracing, part replacing, it comes down to (in my case) the Honda turn signal switch.

(I'm not an maintainer, just an operator) It appears to have two sets of contacts. One that engages the turn signals and one that operates the DRL functions. The centering function of the switch and the auto signal shutoff don't don't seem to entirely 'recenter' the switch and engage both sets of contacts 100% of the time.

I've found that, after engaging the turn signal, a slight press in the opposite direction on the switch after the turn re engages the DRL functions.

At no time has my turn signal ever failed, hence I get no real help from any Honda maintainer (they've replaced it on warranty once). Afterall, the switch is doing what they feel is normal. I've resigned myself to this little hassle.

I'd love to hear some sort of real solution to this problem.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

I’m
    Quote Originally Posted by Draxsr View Post
    "the white LEDs won’t come on"

If you're referring to some sort of daytime running light function, I have an identical issue. After much hair-pulling, wire tracing, part replacing, it comes down to (in my case) the Honda turn signal switch.

(I'm not an maintainer, just an operator) It appears to have two sets of contacts. One that engages the turn signals and one that operates the DRL functions. The centering function of the switch and the auto signal shutoff don't don't seem to entirely 'recenter' the switch and engage both sets of contacts 100% of the time.

I've found that, after engaging the turn signal, a slight press in the opposite direction on the switch after the turn re engages the DRL functions.

At no time has my turn signal ever failed, hence I get no real help from any Honda maintainer (they've replaced it on warranty once). Afterall, the switch is doing what they feel is normal. I've resigned myself to this little hassle.

I'd love to hear some sort of real solution to this problem.
    Thanks! Good to know.

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!