My 1,200 mile review of the new RDL - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1,200 mile review of the new RDL

I concur, Verismo. The stock seat was a bummer for my bum. The RDL's name is appropriate.......it could be named RADL......Russell All Day Long. As taxfree mentioned once, the gas tank needs to be huge so you don't have to stop for gas. There are no more butt issues with this seat. Congrats on the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    I concur, Verismo. The stock seat was a bummer for my bum. The RDL's name is appropriate.......it could be named RADL......Russell All Day Long. As taxfree mentioned once, the gas tank needs to be huge so you don't have to stop for gas. There are no more butt issues with this seat. Congrats on the purchase.

Thanks, Walcrow! And yep, I agree. It's really nice to be able to go tank to tank if I want to. And honestly, a little weird. It takes some getting used to. But it's a welcome change. I feel really lucky to have such a great machine and one I'm so comfortable on and happy with.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I'm not sure how much it raised me, 98Valk. Feels like maybe an inch and a bit over the mustang, but not too different from stock height. Taxfree has a video where he measures the difference and it's not too far off from stock height, considering the bucket, and actually narrower than stock width, despite appearances.

As to being more comfy-with the RDL it's not really the amount of foam or the width, but the location and shape of it that make the difference. Your body weight is supported in an entirely different spot than on the stock seat--basically under your thighs, and your bottom falls back into the pocket, which feels like a baseball mitt for your butt. There used to be a pretty well known iron butt rider that would take a 1X6 or a 2X4 and slide it under his hamstrings so he could lean forward and take the weight off his tailbones. This seat does the same thing, without the awkward board.

Jason
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. It is good information.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. It is good information.
    No problem, 98Valk. By the way, I like your user name. I had a 99 Valk, and it and my 84 Wing were my gold standard and set the bar for what a motorcycle ride could feel like. Hell of a platform.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 06-11-2019 at 03:47 AM.

RDL recommends a product to use on there seats ( or they did when I purchased mine) I purchased it and use it on all my vehicles. At the cost of the seat and quality they probably know best. The product that the angry shield recommends I have used on a couple of shields at two weeks with no long rides or heavy bugs no sure yet. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Python View Post
    RDL recommends a product to use on there seats ( or they did when I purchased mine) I purchased it and use it on all my vehicles. At the cost of the seat and quality they probably know best. The product that the angry shield recommends I have used on a couple of shields at two weeks with no long rides or heavy bugs no sure yet. Just my opinion

Lol, are you trying to be suspenseful, Python? What product?

Jason

this is directly from RDL FAQ section. https://day-long.com/faqs/

Q. Can I use Scotch Guard on a velour seat cover? Will it make it waterproof?

A. I know no reason not to use Scotch Guard on the velour, and I’ve been told by some that applying several treatments will make the velour virtually waterproof without materially affecting its “breath-ability”. It would seem obvious to me that if applied heavily enough to make it waterproof then it will not allow much air to pass through it either. However, I think the “breath factor” comes as much from the fact that a lot of air is trapped in the nap of the velour between you and the barrier that would result from heavily applied Scotch Guard as from air passing through the material. I can’t personally vouch for that, but it certainly will help keep the velour clean, and make it easier to remove smudges. I’ve never heard of it doing any damage of any kind to the velour.

I have had a RDL saddle on all my steel steeds since 1979. I will always ride an RDL and is the only saddle I recommend for long distance riding.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    this is directly from RDL FAQ section. https://day-long.com/faqs/

I have had a RDL saddle on all my steel steeds since 1979. I will always ride an RDL and is the only saddle I recommend for long distance riding.

Thanks for the info, Biglry. I called Jay today and he recommended either Lexall or Mcguires for their leather products, so I picked some up today. Good thing, too. Already into the triple digits down here in South Texas. Yeesh.

Jason