Russell Day Long odds and ends

Thread: Russell Day Long odds and ends

Russell Day Long odds and ends

Here are some odds and ends I hadn’t previously read about an RDL that might be of interest:

Stuff about the backrest:

-It was quite far back when I first got it, but after a conversation with Jay, I learned that there is a locknut on the lower mechanism, which when removed, puts the backrest forward about an inch and a half. This, along with the additional adjustment available via the adjustment screw, put it exactly where I want it.

-It will fit in either bag as long as you slide it off its leaf. It’s too wide to go in horizontally, so you can’t put it in a bag in one piece, but it takes about 5 seconds to slide it off and put it back together. Perfect for security.

-The backrest and bucket of the driver seat make a fantastic place to leave your helmet while you are using the bags, off the bike, etc. I hadn’t thought about it before, but because the bucket is so deep, and the backrest is heavy enough when folded down slightly, your helmet is in no danger of falling off the bike because of the angle, even in heavy wind. This makes for a nice convenience that wasn’t there before.

-The wind pressure from the rear of the bike will often push the backrest forward if I’m sitting upright and away from it. It’s not a concern, because the leaf is long enough that it can’t get sucked all the way out and blow off the bike, but the first time it happened, I thought I’d better check that equation and make sure it wasn’t possible.

And now for the cons, but I’m having to stretch really far to even call them that.

1. I got leather inserts, and while they look and feel fantastic in temperate and cooler weather, your butt does get pretty hot and sweaty on them in the Texas heat. I could’ve gone with sunbrella, but I just wasn’t sure about the look or the feel. I’m thinking of adding a circulation topper for the hot Texas summer if I can find one that is so minimalist that it doesn’t interfere with the seating position or comfort.
    2. When the seat arrived, the holes where the bolts go through were only marked with a very small pin prick. In other words, you have to hollow them out to make them big enough for the seat bolts. I would’ve preferred it done by Russell, possibly with a seam around them to prevent them from ripping. Also, for some reason, it was MUCH more difficult to get the bolts to line up. I’ve changed seats multiple times on the B with both factory and the Mustang Deluxe, and this was by far the most tedious. I finally ended up ordering the tapered bolts because I damn near stripped the threads but caught myself. The tapered bolts helped, but it was still a bit of a PIA.
    3. It was 190 dollars to cover the tiny stock passenger backrest in matching leather. This seemed and still seems a little steep to me. The cost of the seat and the driver backrest is tough on the wallet, but seems justified given the product. The cost of covering the passenger backrest seems a little excessive.
    4. This last one isn’t actually a con, but a reality. The mileage on my B is going to go WAY up after this installation. There is no way I would’ve put the miles on pre-Russell that I’m going to now. The other day I took a 300 mile trip down to Corpus just to see the sunset over the ocean purely because I knew I could, and I wouldn’t be too beat up for work the next day. It was perfect.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Verismo; 06-06-2019 at 06:08 AM.

I'm on my 3rd RDL (3 different bikes) thousands of miles & never had any issues. I my mind, a RDL is the best money you can spend on your bike.
    My G/F & I were headed home from Leesburg bike fest. She was on her HD & I was on my Suzuki V-Strom, she was around 65-66yo I was around 69-70yo . It was a 9 hour ride on secondary roads. 2 hours out, the sky opened up & we were in pouring rain for 7 hours. I got off my bike, without a single ache or pain. My butt was smiling. I've had a bum back since a 1981 accident, if it had been any other seat I would have had to take the next day off from work..…….
    A Iron Butt, buddy rode his V-Strom from Key West Fl. to the southern most tip of South America & back on a RDL. He swears he could not have done it on any other seat and would not have tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    I'm on my 3rd RDL (3 different bikes) thousands of miles & never had any issues. I my mind, a RDL is the best money you can spend on your bike.
    My G/F & I were headed home from Leesburg bike fest. She was on her HD & I was on my Suzuki V-Strom, she was around 65-66yo I was around 69-70yo . It was a 9 hour ride on secondary roads. 2 hours out, the sky opened up & we were in pouring rain for 7 hours. I got off my bike, without a single ache or pain. My butt was smiling. I've had a bum back since a 1981 accident, if it had been any other seat I would have had to take the next day off from work..…….
    A Iron Butt, buddy rode his V-Strom from Key West Fl. to the southern most tip of South America & back on a RDL. He swears he could not have done it on any other seat and would not have tried it.
    I believe it, olegoat. It's really just incredible. One way I'm rationalizing the price, besides how much more enjoyable the ride is now, is thinking about how much potential money it's going to save me in medical bills over the long term by reducing the wear and tear on my body.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Here are some odds and ends I hadn’t previously read about an RDL that might be of interest:

Stuff about the backrest:

-It was quite far back when I first got it, but after a conversation with Jay, I learned that there is a locknut on the lower mechanism, which when removed, puts the backrest forward about an inch and a half. This, along with the additional adjustment available via the adjustment screw, put it exactly where I want it.

-It will fit in either bag as long as you slide it off its leaf. It’s too wide to go in horizontally, so you can’t put it in a bag in one piece, but it takes about 5 seconds to slide it off and put it back together. Perfect for security.

-The backrest and bucket of the driver seat make a fantastic place to leave your helmet while you are using the bags, off the bike, etc. I hadn’t thought about it before, but because the bucket is so deep, and the backrest is heavy enough when folded down slightly, your helmet is in no danger of falling off the bike because of the angle, even in heavy wind. This makes for a nice convenience that wasn’t there before.

-The wind pressure from the rear of the bike will often push the backrest forward if I’m sitting upright and away from it. It’s not a concern, because the leaf is long enough that it can’t get sucked all the way out and blow off the bike, but the first time it happened, I thought I’d better check that equation and make sure it wasn’t possible.

And now for the cons, but I’m having to stretch really far to even call them that.

1. I got leather inserts, and while they look and feel fantastic in temperate and cooler weather, your butt does get pretty hot and sweaty on them in the Texas heat. I could’ve gone with sunbrella, but I just wasn’t sure about the look or the feel. I’m thinking of adding a circulation topper for the hot Texas summer if I can find one that is so minimalist that it doesn’t interfere with the seating position or comfort.
    2. When the seat arrived, the holes where the bolts go through were only marked with a very small pin prick. In other words, you have to hollow them out to make them big enough for the seat bolts. I would’ve preferred it done by Russell, possibly with a seam around them to prevent them from ripping. Also, for some reason, it was MUCH more difficult to get the bolts to line up. I’ve changed seats multiple times on the B with both factory and the Mustang Deluxe, and this was by far the most tedious. I finally ended up ordering the tapered bolts because I damn near stripped the threads but caught myself. The tapered bolts helped, but it was still a bit of a PIA.
    3. It was 190 dollars to cover the tiny stock passenger backrest in matching leather. This seemed and still seems a little steep to me. The cost of the seat and the driver backrest is tough on the wallet, but seems justified given the product. The cost of covering the passenger backrest seems a little excessive.
    4. This last one isn’t actually a con, but a reality. The mileage on my B is going to go WAY up after this installation. There is no way I would’ve put the miles on pre-Russell that I’m going to now. The other day I took a 300 mile trip down to Corpus just to see the sunset over the ocean purely because I knew I could, and I wouldn’t be too beat up for work the next day. It was perfect.

Jason
    Seating surface really does make a difference in the heat...and the cold. I had my F6B Russell driver section done in velour and it was never hot in summer, never cold in winter. My Concours 14 Russell has leather and it is hot. For long rides I throw my trusty Alaskan Fur Sheepskin on it. The velour on the "B" was just starting to wear through after 120,000 miles, so I had the driver section reupholstered when I sold the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason.....

Here's a few pics of the backrest that I had Russell make last year when I found out it was available. I have the original one you have but like this one as it is quite a bit smaller for storage purposes and works just as good as the larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Dang, olegoat! 7 hours of pouring rain on a bike?! Lol, that makes for a long day. And that trip your buddy took sounds like a worthy candidate for a season of that Ewan McGregor series, "Long Way Down". I bet your friend has some good stories! I'd love to hear where he stayed along the way.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 06-15-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Seating surface really does make a difference in the heat...and the cold. I had my F6B Russell driver section done in velour and it was never hot in summer, never cold in winter. My Concours 14 Russell has leather and it is hot. For long rides I throw my trusty Alaskan Fur Sheepskin on it. The velour on the "B" was just starting to wear through after 120,000 miles, so I had the driver section reupholstered when I sold the bike.
    Hey 1951, I've heard that Velour fades on the Russells. Any experience with that? They sure do look good with it, though.

I've wondered about those sheepskins. Scale of 1-10, how much do they help on a scorching day?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Walcrow View Post
    Jason.....

Here's a few pics of the backrest that I had Russell make last year when I found out it was available. I have the original one you have but like this one as it is quite a bit smaller for storage purposes and works just as good as the larger one.

Hey thanks for the pics, Walcrow!! That looks sharp! I like the fact that the shape of your driver backrest matches the passenger pad on the trunk. I thought about requesting that backrest, but decided I'd go for the larger one first, and then get the smaller one later if I didn't like the larger one, or needed to save storage space, etc. Now that I have it, I love it, like the way it looks on the bike, and have had zero problems throwing it in a bag at the movies, etc. It's a hell of a product.

Jason

A beadrider is a great option for hot days. Heck, I use mine all the time unless it it cold out. Nothing like having a breeze on the behind.
    Some say the beadrider is uncomfortable. If your seat doesn't fit you the beadrider probably amplifies the problem. If you like your seat you'll probably love the beadrider.
    If not perfect, it gives you two options. The beadrider doesn't need to be strapped on so you can quickly toss it in the bags when chilly or toss it back on the seat when ready for breeze on the behind.
    I used an Ultimate seat for a year, then another year with the beadrider, the the last 2 years stock with beadrider.
    I can't see not having a beadrider in the future.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by JGF6B View Post
    A beadrider is a great option for hot days. Heck, I use mine all the time unless it it cold out. Nothing like having a breeze on the behind.
    Some say the beadrider is uncomfortable. If your seat doesn't fit you the beadrider probably amplifies the problem. If you like your seat you'll probably love the beadrider.
    If not perfect, it gives you two options. The beadrider doesn't need to be strapped on so you can quickly toss it in the bags when chilly or toss it back on the seat when ready for breeze on the behind.
    I used an Ultimate seat for a year, then another year with the beadrider, the the last 2 years stock with beadrider.
    I can't see not having a beadrider in the future.
    I was rolling the idea of a beadrider around, but I have two concerns with it. -- I'm about as high as I want to be on the Russell, and I want as minimal a height added as possible. And, the leather on the Russell is very nice and pretty soft. The last thing I would want to do is put something on it that will leave impressions in it. It seems like the beadrider might do this. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Jason