Russell Day Long odds and ends

Thread: Russell Day Long odds and ends

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Russell Day Long odds and ends

Here are some odds and ends I hadn’t previously read about an RDL that might be of interest:

Stuff about the backrest:

-It was quite far back when I first got it, but after a conversation with Jay, I learned that there is a locknut on the lower mechanism, which when removed, puts the backrest forward about an inch and a half. This, along with the additional adjustment available via the adjustment screw, put it exactly where I want it.

-It will fit in either bag as long as you slide it off its leaf. It’s too wide to go in horizontally, so you can’t put it in a bag in one piece, but it takes about 5 seconds to slide it off and put it back together. Perfect for security.

-The backrest and bucket of the driver seat make a fantastic place to leave your helmet while you are using the bags, off the bike, etc. I hadn’t thought about it before, but because the bucket is so deep, and the backrest is heavy enough when folded down slightly, your helmet is in no danger of falling off the bike because of the angle, even in heavy wind. This makes for a nice convenience that wasn’t there before.

-The wind pressure from the rear of the bike will often push the backrest forward if I’m sitting upright and away from it. It’s not a concern, because the leaf is long enough that it can’t get sucked all the way out and blow off the bike, but the first time it happened, I thought I’d better check that equation and make sure it wasn’t possible.

And now for the cons, but I’m having to stretch really far to even call them that.

1. I got leather inserts, and while they look and feel fantastic in temperate and cooler weather, your butt does get pretty hot and sweaty on them in the Texas heat. I could’ve gone with sunbrella, but I just wasn’t sure about the look or the feel. I’m thinking of adding a circulation topper for the hot Texas summer if I can find one that is so minimalist that it doesn’t interfere with the seating position or comfort.
    2. When the seat arrived, the holes where the bolts go through were only marked with a very small pin prick. In other words, you have to hollow them out to make them big enough for the seat bolts. I would’ve preferred it done by Russell, possibly with a seam around them to prevent them from ripping. Also, for some reason, it was MUCH more difficult to get the bolts to line up. I’ve changed seats multiple times on the B with both factory and the Mustang Deluxe, and this was by far the most tedious. I finally ended up ordering the tapered bolts because I damn near stripped the threads but caught myself. The tapered bolts helped, but it was still a bit of a PIA.
    3. It was 190 dollars to cover the tiny stock passenger backrest in matching leather. This seemed and still seems a little steep to me. The cost of the seat and the driver backrest is tough on the wallet, but seems justified given the product. The cost of covering the passenger backrest seems a little excessive.
    4. This last one isn’t actually a con, but a reality. The mileage on my B is going to go WAY up after this installation. There is no way I would’ve put the miles on pre-Russell that I’m going to now. The other day I took a 300 mile trip down to Corpus just to see the sunset over the ocean purely because I knew I could, and I wouldn’t be too beat up for work the next day. It was perfect.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Verismo; 06-06-2019 at 06:08 AM.