Accident - classic car pull out in front

Thread: Accident - classic car pull out in front

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accident - classic car pull out in front

I was on my way to work this morning, wet roads after rain yesterday and last night, slightly foggy conditions.

I was heading eastbound, two-lane road, 45 mph limit, approaching an intersection with stop signs for north and south traffic (also two-lane road).

Person in a GMC Terrain heading south stopped as I approached at approximately 50 mph, then proceeded through the intersection.

I saw it coming and got on the brakes. Tires locked up within a split second, bike went down low side. I stayed on it for a bit, but eventually ended up skidding down my lane for about 50-75 feet on my knees, ass, elbows (I think). Bike kept going for quite awhile, riding on the crash bars, clutch side.

I came to a stop and immediately got up to avoid potential for getting run over.

My riding jacket and shoes did their thing - not a scratch - my Dockers slacks did their best, but I got some road rash on my left knee. Ass in pants held up well.

Cops came, wrote everything up. Lady who was a witness was crying - her son was killed in a bike accident.

Cop put blame on driver, for stopping but then not yielding to traffic. I do not think she got a ticket, but he gave her 100% fault in his report.

Ambulance checked me out, vitals ok (high blood pressure from adrenaline), no neck or back pain.

Bike itself - not a scratch on it - unbelievable. Not even any paint missing because it skidded down the road on the clutch side Ergo III mainly (which got bent upwards). I rode it home (not even a mile away).

The lady who pulled out stopped and stayed the entire time. Guess what she said? Yeah, that classic line. I said "The front of this bike is lit up like a Christmas tree. What else do I need to do for you to see me?" I also told her to let this one incident, which may end up as minor, serve as permanent reminder to look for bikes.

My wife, who is nurse, bandaged my knee up and I am about to head to work after this, but wanted to share with you guys.

I have to be honest - I am already feeling very anxious - not necessarily about physically riding again, but about how I am going to feel about riding again, the guilt associated with the risk of knowing this happened and it could've been way worse, and how this is going to make my wife feel when I take a ride. She never got on my bike again after my accident in 2012, and I do not know what to expect after this one.

I am also unsure of my reaction - did I get on the brakes too hard? I just finished the ARC three weeks ago and did a lot of practice emergency braking. Was my threshold set for dry roads, because they locked up immediately. Did I jam on the brakes instead of squeeze gradually? How is one supposed to gradually apply brakes when a car pulls out 50 feet in front of you? Right now, I am disappointed in my reaction.

Also - my parents - my brother recently died of a heroin overdose - the guilt of knowing this incident occurred and how that will make them feel about their only living child out riding.

I think I need some time....but...my initial, seemingly rational, thought is I need to have a bike with ABS. With those, I wonder what would have happened here. Need time.

Click the link below for a few pics, if interested.

https://imgur.com/a/zPXAbcC
    Last edited by VStarRider; 06-06-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6