Accident - classic car pull out in front

Thread: Accident - classic car pull out in front

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't feel bad, VStar, I have a similar story, except it was my fault. Last summer, I was running back to Austin from Houston, on a hot Saturday, lot of traffic, when I decided to take a different way to the house, by cutting through Brenham. I'd never been that way before, and don't know if I was tired, or hungry from not eating that day, or just not paying enough attention, but as I came up on an intersection, I failed to notice that I had the red light. A truck was pulling into the intersection from my right, (and rightfully so), which snapped me to attention and probably caused me to grab too much brake; too much front especially. Down I went on my left side, and my B slid into the intersection, making a very large 270 degree counter clockwise circle, and coming to rest when the front tire bumped into the curb. Texas people, especially once you get out of the metros, are some of the nicest people I've ever met, and as I ran up to my scoot, I was surrounded by 4-5 other people, trying to help me. They were amazed at how fast I bounced up and ran after my B, but I was fine, except for a slight scrape on the knuckles of my left hand; I like wearing shorty gloves here, year round. The B had a broken left mirror, which I taped to the fairing for the ride home, and the expected scrapes, but all in all, not bad. Progressive took very good care of me, replacing everything I was wearing, head to toe, except my undies and t-shirt I had under the armored jacket. Everything on the bike that needed it was replaced, not repaired, so it looks like new again!

My FJR has ABS, and while I wish the B did as well, it may not have helped in this case, as I was right on the top of those painted stripes in the intersection when I hit the brakes. Too much brake, a slight turn of the wheel to the left, as I was avoiding the truck to the right, and down I probably would have gone, on either bike. Since then, I've never thought of not riding, (the Cortez trip happened after all this...), but I realize (remember?) that I do need to be on top of my game at all times.

Good luck, VStar, and do whatever makes you feel happy!
    Last edited by jmdaniel; 06-07-2019 at 07:28 AM.