Accident - classic car pull out in front - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accident - classic car pull out in front

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    I'm glad your ok but I thought I was going to be hearing about a "classic car" hitting you.
    Ha! I thought the same, thinking "when did a GMC Terrain become a classic car?"...

Quote Originally Posted by jmdaniel View Post
    Ha! I thought the same, thinking "when did a GMC Terrain become a classic car?"...
    Ha! Yeah, I read my post title again when I got home and logged in and saw what you mean!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories. Many are very, very similar to what happened to me today.

When I got home, I gave the bike another look-over. There ain't a dam thing wrong with it, other than some missing paint on the bottom of the rear saddlebag crashbar. In fact, the clutch side Ergo III I thought was bent was actually just pushed upward. Stepping down on it put it back to its original position and still operates fine. The bike was skidding on the stainless bolt head that holds the footrest mechanism together.

i did see that I broke a wind deflector off during the skid. That's really it - oh - except one other thing - my glovebox key knob came unglued. Not sure if that is timing or adrenaline pumping that broke it off.

---------------------------------

As for me, 13 hours later I seem to be physically fine. My knee scrape features no pain. I did notice that I may have bruised my clavicle (shoulder probably hit the road at some point) when I put my seatbelt on in the car this afternoon. Noticeable, but no limitation in range of motion.

Emotionally, I feel ready to ride. I may have gone out tonight, in fact, if a friend had not called. I am supposed to be riding to my camp 100 miles from home after work tomorrow, and I feel ready to do that. Maybe I should go for a quick spin tonight to see how things feel behind the bars again.

I almost emailed my dealer tonight to get a quote on a new Wing Tour. I know some of you have doubts about the impact of ABS, particularly in my case today, or perhaps some of the other incidents in this thread. I feel that no matter how much training one has, when you are watching a vehicle pulling in front of you 50 feet away, I want to remove the thinking that goes into modulating braking inputs and just be able to jam on those brakes with everything I have. ABS allows you to remain upright, as someone mentioned, which is better than being on the ground in most cases. Can I afford a Wing Tour? No, not really. But I do think I am going to accelerate my plan to replace the F6 with a Wing Tour sooner than later.

The insurance company is stopping by tomorrow for a look at the bike and to write up an estimate.

Thanks again everyone. Ride safe, stay focused!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Glad you and the bike are both pretty much OK. What kept the bike from sliding into the car?

Well, first of all, I'm really glad this turned out ok. Coincidently, today will be my first time back out on my bike since my last (2nd) time being hit on a bike. First trip...a 3 hour ride to NH. No time for a little break in ride or two. This isn't about me, but my point is, I have the guilt you have, and I have a little trepidation that you have too. You have to decide what's best for you. This is my life...I work, come home and without biking, I pretty much lay on my couch. It's all I have besides family. My son is ok with it, my mother is ok with it, but I have plenty of family who isn't. I'm 62, I live alone...it's all I have as a hobby, and I still love it. I said yesterday to friends and I'll say it now here...if it happens again and I survive, you'll never see me on a bike again. That will be the third time. I'm hoping my past two are the last of my bad luck on a bike. Good luck on whatever you decide. No one can make that choice but you. I might leave later today if I get out of work early enough. Otherwise, I leave early am. Headed to Lincoln to stay at the Loon Mountain resort area with friends.

By the way, I'll be on a white 2016 F6B with a M-----d shield. Curious how it'll be on the highway...soon to find out.
    Last edited by wjduke; 06-07-2019 at 04:34 AM.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Glad you and the bike are both pretty much OK. What kept the bike from sliding into the car?
    Thanks. After I jammed the brakes and bike went down, she stopped.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Well, first of all, I'm really glad this turned out ok. Coincidently, today will be my first time back out on my bike since my last (2nd) time being hit on a bike. First trip...a 3 hour ride to NH. No time for a little break in ride or two. This isn't about me, but my point is, I have the guilt you have, and I have a little trepidation that you have too. You have to decide what's best for you. This is my life...I work, come home and without biking, I pretty much lay on my couch. It's all I have besides family. My son is ok with it, my mother is ok with it, but I have plenty of family who isn't. I'm 62, I live alone...it's all I have as a hobby, and I still love it. I said yesterday to friends and I'll say it now here...if it happens again and I survive, you'll never see me on a bike again. That will be the third time. I'm hoping my past two are the last of my bad luck on a bike. Good luck on whatever you decide. No one can make that choice but you. I might leave later today if I get out of work early enough. Otherwise, I leave early am. Headed to Lincoln to stay at the Loon Mountain resort area with friends.

By the way, I'll be on a white 2016 F6B with a M-----d shield. Curious how it'll be on the highway...soon to find out.
    I can tell by your words, and others, that you know how I feel. I am waiting for the adjuster to show up and then will make my decision as to whether or not I am going to ride to work, then camp following work. I know how my wife feels, but I am being honest with her in saying I do not know what I am going to do. I have been clear to her and others that I do not want to limit myself based on fear and/or risk. A guy I know well, who has a bad knee, fell in his bathroom at 3:00am and hit his head on the vanity edge. He is paralyzed from the waist down.

I took a 10 mile ride last night, and while a little uneasy and hyper aware, I was ok. It was easier than expected, considering what had happened just 12 hours earlier.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I can tell by your words, and others, that you know how I feel. I am waiting for the adjuster to show up and then will make my decision as to whether or not I am going to ride to work, then camp following work. I know how my wife feels, but I am being honest with her in saying I do not know what I am going to do. I have been clear to her and others that I do not want to limit myself based on fear and/or risk. A guy I know well, who has a bad knee, fell in his bathroom at 3:00am and hit his head on the vanity edge. He is paralyzed from the waist down.

I took a 10 mile ride last night, and while a little uneasy and hyper aware, I was ok. It was easier than expected, considering what had happened just 12 hours earlier.
    I really wish we had the ability to like posts on this forum... Have a great day, VStar!

Got my first ride in. 227 miles. Fuel light came on right at the off ramp at my exit. Still gas left. I’ll check mileage when I gas up this morning. VStar, I was nervous. I hit traffic right away and I was waving my arm for people to see me slowing down! The trip went well, this bike is a dream. BTW, I
    Love the M—d shield. Very functional, huge difference from the last one I had. Again, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Got my first ride in. 227 miles. Fuel light came on right at the off ramp at my exit. Still gas left. I’ll check mileage when I gas up this morning. VStar, I was nervous. I hit traffic right away and I was waving my arm for people to see me slowing down! The trip went well, this bike is a dream. BTW, I
    Love the M—d shield. Very functional, huge difference from the last one I had. Again, good luck.
    This is great news. I am so glad to hear this (you getting back on two wheels, not running out of gas!)

Yes, in my opinion, the Angrystad is a great addition...great enough to make you forget what it is like to ride a bike with a buffeting or wind noise issue cause their ain't none.

I understand your apprehension about getting into traffic because, IIRC, both of your incidents involved traffic around you.

Between yesterday and today, I rode about the same miles as you.

I continue to be hyperaware, especially at intersection with stop signs only on the cross road (this was the type of intersection I had my accident a couple of days ago at). To be honest, in reflecting on what happened, I think I had let "risk creep" sneak into my riding life. I don't think I realized until I slowed down a bit the past couple of days that maybe I was pushing it a bit too much in the days and weeks after the ARC. Forget excessive brake pressure on a wet road - I never should have allowed that situation to unfold. Strategy before skills.

Good luck on your trip and way home.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Sorry to hear about your accident and I'm glad you are OK. Makes me think about my own "risk creep". It is to easy to relax and enjoy the ride sometimes. Hope all works out for you!!