I80 or I70 from Denver thru Chicago?

Thread: I80 or I70 from Denver thru Chicago?

I80 or I70 from Denver thru Chicago?

Which is the best route? On the bike and just ready to get home. I see I70 appears to be about 1 hour slower. What is better? Thanks
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

There is a bit more truck traffic on I80 through Nebraska than 70 in Kansas. Both roads are in good condition and there are plenty of places to stop along the way. I'd suggest I80.

Having lived in Denver for many years and traveled back and forth over 25 times between Utah and Michigan, I would take I-80 in a heartbeat....A little more truck traffic but generally an okay ride across the mid-west.....JMHO

I70 so you can check out the worlds largest Badger.

I-76 to I-80.

Sorry you have to deal with all that interstate riding. Next trip, plan an extra day or two, and enjoy some backroads. JMO

I don't mind the interstates, but hate the really big cities. Seems like the traffic never ends these days, even on the 'bypasses'. On that trip I'd have to decide between avoiding St. Louis or Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I don't mind the interstates, but hate the really big cities. Seems like the traffic never ends these days, even on the 'bypasses'. On that trip I'd have to decide between avoiding St. Louis or Chicago.
    IMHO, stay away from the Chicago loop, stick with St.Louis if you can...Try to get through either area early in the morning before 7am or after dark if possible...Much less traffic usually....Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    Which is the best route? On the bike and just ready to get home. I see I70 appears to be about 1 hour slower. What is better? Thanks
    As much as I hate Chicago traffic, I think you would be okay with I-80. There is a lot of construction in the St. Louis area. I just came back from Ft. Collins via I-80 with no major construction issues and relatively light traffic until I turned off on I-88 to go up to the Northern suburbs. Just be careful as you go through the Chicago area (from Joliet over to Portage, IN), there are some really scary drivers out there and road rage is not uncommon. Have a good trip.

Not sure where your headed, but plenty of roads between Chicago and St Louis, besides interstates. Your wondering which route, thinking one route is an hour longer? Going thru either of those cities, well any small accident ahead of you or road work, will cause you more than an hour delay.