Don't want to lose another GPS - Garmin 396

Thread: Don't want to lose another GPS - Garmin 396

Don't want to lose another GPS - Garmin 396

Any ideas for a safety strap of some sort so that if my GPS pops out of the Garmin mount it will not going bouncing down the road like it's predecessor (Garmin 395). Thanks in advance.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

I think it came from an old camera. A fine strong string/cord with a quick connect clip. It is looped/tied at the D ring that holds the battery compartment on my 590 and then attached to a carabineer clip to a spot behind the unit and in front of the reservoir. Two ways to unhook when needed. The 395s have more of a reputation for coming unmounted than the 590s but I wanted to be ready it ever does pop out.

That would be slick!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I think it came from an old camera. A fine strong string/cord with a quick connect clip. It is looped/tied at the D ring that holds the battery compartment on my 590 and then attached to a carabineer clip to a spot behind the unit and in front of the reservoir. Two ways to unhook when needed. The 395s have more of a reputation for coming unmounted than the 590s but I wanted to be ready it ever does pop out.
    But my 396 does not have a removable battery so I can't do that. As I am out more than a 590 would have been after buying a 395 and then a 396 I will go big or stay home the next time I have a purchase like this to make.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen

So I searched the internet for solutions. Seriously expensive locking plates are available from
    Touratech https://touratech-usa.com/store/Tour...Zumo-396-LMT-S $175USD
    Zumolock https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/n...ock-3x0-detail 79 Euros

The Zumolock video led me to believe that all it does is prevent the plunger to release to the GPS from moving. Sounds easy enough to achieve. I went through a few zip ties to find that they will can be used to stop the plunger from depressing. I rummaged around and found a reusable item to achieve the same goal.

20190605_131835.jpg

The orange piece is a Niteize Gear Tie https://www.niteize.com/product/Gear...opables-12.asp
    Wish me luck.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS

Have had two Garmin GPS units and used Touratech with both. Worked flawlessly.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    Any ideas for a safety strap of some sort so that if my GPS pops out of the Garmin mount it will not going bouncing down the road like it's predecessor (Garmin 395). Thanks in advance.
    I don't use one myself but the Tourtech lock solution is probably the most secure way to keep it in there.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I got one of these shortly after I bought a Zumo 595. I figured it was a good investment. Keeps it locked on the bike in Garmin's cradle.

Have had it for a couple of years and 35k+ miles. Works as advertised.

Don't have to worry about it bouncing out of the cradle or having it ripped off at a food or pit stop.

However, I DON'T leave my GPS on the bike overnight.

https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/nl/

Thanks for the feedback on the Touratech and Zumolock devices. I will put it on the Christmas wish list.
    I will be able to walk away from the bike without worrying about it being stolen.
    Last edited by terryboyle; 06-05-2019 at 08:38 PM.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS

I feel your pain, just purchased a new garmin and the magnetic mounting system is good every now and then you can hit that bump and it happened to me just Saturday. $200 garmin road surfing, screen cracked but it still works. I think the solution for this unit is just to glue it to the base with superglue and forget about it. when you want to remove, remove the unit the mounting suction cup and the wire all in one, at least the garmin will be safe and sound. LOL I've been looking for some type of strap myself or a tether that was not allow it to fall to the ground by dangle if it did pop off.