Thinking of down sizing until today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of down sizing until today

Thinking of down sizing until today

As I am getting closer to the ripe old age of "80" and still love to ride when I can, I thought of maybe trading my F6B for a smaller, lighter, and less expensive bike...Checked out the local Indian dealer today and the Scout might fit the bill. I changed my mind when the sales person said they would offer me $6700-$6900 in trade for my bike...Perfect condition, many options, custom paint, only 15,800 miles bought late in 2013 and ridden for only 5 seasons....Told him goodbye and I will sell it outright if and when I decide to make the change..Told him I know I can get at least $10,000 or more in the retail market and was not going to "give away" my current ride as I did not need to....Going to stand pat for now unless I get a decent offer and I am in no hurry...Regards

"1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

I was offered $7,000 for my 2015 with 60,000 miles on trade for a Harley. I gave them the same answer you did. I will ride this bike until it expires or I do.

Awww, come on, really??
    I can't see giving up a flat six for a V-twin.
    I can't see giving up a shaft drive for a chain.
    ........... you know what I mean.
    Just get that wing lowering kit, and, VOILA!, you have almost what you need except for the weight.

Did you get a chance to ride an Indian?? How was it??

Unless Opas has his suspension cranked way up you can't get a B much lower or you'll be scraping pavement all the time. Weight is probably the biggest factor. My M109R only weighed about 100 pounds less but it felt like a ton. The difference was quite noticeable.

I went from a Scout to my F6b. It's a great bike but I hear you, dealing with salespeople is just silly. I get the program and starting point, trade versus retail, but when they are just so far out of middle ground it makes it tough. I was going to trade my Scout on a used Chief, not only did they lowball me half the value but as a Harley dealer they told me they don't bother trading used for used. I was like, if we see middle ground here on values, you still take in over $2k for a half hour's work before you go to auction with the Chief. Still no dice. Indian dealers usually are much better at being reasonable. Last one I tried to make a deal with offered me solid trade money on the Scout, but high ticketed the Dark Horse I wanted telling me about all the upgrades, after telling me they don't put value on the accessories I added to my Scout.....wait, what? So I told them you give me what you said you would on the Scout and I will pay high book for that Dark Horse...then they looked up book. No deal. It's kind of fun to play the game once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    Awww, come on, really??
    I can't see giving up a flat six for a V-twin.
    I can't see giving up a shaft drive for a chain.
    ........... you know what I mean.
    Just get that wing lowering kit, and, VOILA!, you have almost what you need except for the weight.

Did you get a chance to ride an Indian?? How was it??
    Scout is belt drive and very fast for a V-Twin with the high-revving DOHC motor and it handles great... I have no issues with the height on the 6 as I have a Mustang lower seat and 1/2" higher heels and soles on my boots...The 835 lbs. is the major problem now as I get older and somewhat weaker in the old legs...Otherwise I love my bike and hope I can ride it a while longer...The Scout is also only 560 lbs and much cheaper than most other bikes in this class...Regards
    Last edited by opas ride; 06-12-2019 at 09:26 AM.

Just go get a Harley. They make light weight bikes (Softtails, Sportsters and the newer 500/750 models). Much better following than the Indian. Softtail Slim are low and weigh ~600 lbs and have the 107 ci engine.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Scout is belt drive and very fast for a V-Twin with the high-revving DOHC motor and it handles great... I have no issues with the height on the 6 as I have a Mustang lower seat and 1/2" higher heels and soles on my boots...The 835 lbs. is the major problem now as I get older and somewhat weaker in the old legs...Otherwise I love my bike and hope I can ride it a while longer...The Scout is also only 560 lbs and much cheaper than most other bikes in this class...Regards

My brother just got a new fat bob with a 114 motor.
    I sat on it and it felt good. You sit in it and the bars were in the right place.
    Nice bike.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Honda Shadow and CTX 700 are both lighter bikes. Trade ins on any vehicle car or bike are always low ball. You can always beat it if you sell yourself, if you want to put in the effort.