Thinking of down sizing until today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of down sizing until today

Google the Honda CTX700DCT a 500# baby "B." Look a lot like the B, w/ a low C/G. == If you go to a "Honda Power Sports" dealer ( they only sell Hondas) you'll get a better deal.
    I'm 77yo & been thinking the same thing about my B.... I just brought a new 2018 CTX 700 DCT, from RC Hill Honda Power Sports DeLand, Fl. great to deal with ==haven't gone for a good ride yet, been thunder, lightening & pouring rain since I got it. Traded my 2009 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000.... For now I'm keeping my B. I've found most, if not all, V Twins are top heavy & very hot to ride.

Opas Ride: At almost 75 yrs of age I have been contemplating the same as you and the same replacement bike(Indian Scout). It sounds as though you have an Indian dealer fairly close by. If I had that situation, I would be totally serious about the Scout. The closest dealer to me is about 90 miles. I need someone closer than that. A nice feature of the Scout is the availability of "reduced reach" controls for us vertically challenged guys. I don't like the "feet forward" position at all and the closer foot controls, bars, and I believe a seat also should allow me to custom fit it to me.
    Ironically, as Oldgoat said, the Honda CTX700(also the naked version)was also on my radar. Then came that feet forward thing again. The foot controls are way out there in front.
    Another possibility is the Honda NC750X. This bike has the "Adventure Bike" styling with the same engine as the CTX700 only it has been bumped up to 750cc(or close to it). It also comes with the DCT which would be the only configuration I would want. Owners are reporting 60 - 70+ mpg with plenty of power for the highway. The NC750X is a taller bike, but like my V-Strom, by the time you get your weight on it, it settles in nicely.

Just my ideas, your mileage may vary. Enjoy the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by motornerd View Post
    Honda Shadow and CTX 700 are both lighter bikes. Trade ins on any vehicle car or bike are always low ball. You can always beat it if you sell yourself, if you want to put in the effort.
    Your right and I would be more apt to consider the offer at the Indian dealership, except the sources I checked on the Internet tell me the 2013 F6B Deluxe is worth about $8500 to $9500 low retail...Average bikes going for about $10500 or more..Mine is pristine with only 15,000 K on the odo and "mucho bucko" in custom paint, seat, pipes, etc. etc. and I am not ready at this point to let the dealer get rich at my expense...Regards and ride safe

I may be selling mine in the near future. 27k miles. I am thinking of asking $9500 with accessories, $9000 without.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Have any of you guys contemplated the Valkry. Much lighter and same bike. I have been think for my second bike and get rid of my Vrod which is a night rod in blue. blew2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thunder217 View Post
    Have any of you guys contemplated the Valkry. Much lighter and same bike. I have been think for my second bike and get rid of my Vrod which is a night rod in blue. blew2.jpg
    That is another possibility for sure. The one thing that kinda steers me away from the Valkyrie is wind management. From the sound of things on the F6C Board, those owners have the same issues that we do in getting a windshield that does a decent job. It is another thought though.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    That is another possibility for sure. The one thing that kinda steers me away from the Valkyrie is wind management. From the sound of things on the F6C Board, those owners have the same issues that we do in getting a windshield that does a decent job. It is another thought though.
    Not for me after riding one a couple years ago...My 99 Valk Tourer was a much nicer bike in most every aspect in my opinion....Handled better, much better wind management as said above, and much nicer looking...BTW, has anyone ridden, or owned, or have any input on the older 2014/15 Honda V-twin Interstate model...I know they no longer make it, but I have always liked the thing for what I am looking for...Road tests from the past seem pretty positive for the most part...Should be able to find a left-over new one somewhere and have seen a couple posted for under $10,000....Regards
    Last edited by opas ride; 06-13-2019 at 07:38 PM.

I had a 2014 Valkyrie and the F6B handles better and is easier to ride due to the lower center of gravity from smaller diameter wheels and the location of the fuel tank. The F6C has a metal 6 gallon tank in front of you above your hips instead of below you as on the F6B. The F6C 19/17 wheel setup also raise the bike’s center of gravity 1/2” higher than the F6B’s 18/16 setup. Lastly the Valkyrie brakes are not linked so the bike dives under medium to hard braking. I like the F6B’s brakes much better.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Your right and I would be more apt to consider the offer at the Indian dealership, except the sources I checked on the Internet tell me the 2013 F6B Deluxe is worth about $8500 to $9500 low retail...Average bikes going for about $10500 or more..Mine is pristine with only 15,000 K on the odo and "mucho bucko" in custom paint, seat, pipes, etc. etc. and I am not ready at this point to let the dealer get rich at my expense...Regards and ride safe
    Current NADA values for 2013 F6B Deluxe
    Rough Trade-In Clean Trade-In Average Retail
    $6,460 $8,485 $10,630

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    Current NADA values for 2013 F6B Deluxe
    Rough Trade-In Clean Trade-In Average Retail
    $6,460 $8,485 $10,630
    At $9000, mine should sell quickly. Who wants it?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6