Opas Ride: At almost 75 yrs of age I have been contemplating the same as you and the same replacement bike(Indian Scout). It sounds as though you have an Indian dealer fairly close by. If I had that situation, I would be totally serious about the Scout. The closest dealer to me is about 90 miles. I need someone closer than that. A nice feature of the Scout is the availability of "reduced reach" controls for us vertically challenged guys. I don't like the "feet forward" position at all and the closer foot controls, bars, and I believe a seat also should allow me to custom fit it to me.
Ironically, as Oldgoat said, the Honda CTX700(also the naked version)was also on my radar. Then came that feet forward thing again. The foot controls are way out there in front.
Another possibility is the Honda NC750X. This bike has the "Adventure Bike" styling with the same engine as the CTX700 only it has been bumped up to 750cc(or close to it). It also comes with the DCT which would be the only configuration I would want. Owners are reporting 60 - 70+ mpg with plenty of power for the highway. The NC750X is a taller bike, but like my V-Strom, by the time you get your weight on it, it settles in nicely.

Just my ideas, your mileage may vary. Enjoy the hunt.