Looking at 2016 full Wing with ABS
Value Accessories 2016
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Looking at 2016 full Wing with ABS

  1. #1
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    936

    Looking at 2016 full Wing with ABS

    I am going to look at a 2016 full Wing with ABS, XM, navigation Saturday morning. Only 2200 miles, appears spotless. Older couple selling it.

    After my incident last week, I feel less than comfortable minus ABS, plus having all the other features of the full Wing is a nice bonus.

    I am unable to swing a new Wing with DCT at this time, so this will be an upgrade, three years newer, 24k fewer miles and will make me safer riding.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; 26,800 miles; sold
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; 2,100 miles; purchased 6/22/19
    2019 Miles:
    6,100 as of 9/5

  2. #2
    Senior Member Bighutch14's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Union Grove, WI
    Posts
    220
    If you like it and it’s a good price then jump on it. The ABS models do not last long. Seems the non ABS models are a lot easier to find.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Commerce Twp.MI USA
    Posts
    2,514
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I am going to look at a 2016 full Wing with ABS, XM, navigation Saturday morning. Only 2200 miles, appears spotless. Older couple selling it.

    After my incident last week, I feel less than comfortable minus ABS, plus having all the other features of the full Wing is a nice bonus.

    I am unable to swing a new Wing with DCT at this time, so this will be an upgrade, three years newer, 24k fewer miles and will make me safer riding.
    I don't know about the safer riding thing, but if this change "floats your boat" go for it and good luck!!!....Regards

  4. #4
    Senior Member 2wheelsforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Gulf Breeze, Florida
    Posts
    1,248
    I agree with you, the anti lock brakes will be safer. Should make you feel better also after having a slide like you had. I went down once on a new to me bike due to a rear wheel lock up I was not expecting.

  5. #5
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I agree with you, the anti lock brakes will be safer. Should make you feel better also after having a slide like you had. I went down once on a new to me bike due to a rear wheel lock up I was not expecting.
    Thanks. I am aware it is still a bike, still has two wheels, but this will help me feel safer. One thing you don't want to be is in fear on a bike. Even if it makes me 10% safer on paper, but feel 80% safer, the net result is worth it.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; 26,800 miles; sold
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; 2,100 miles; purchased 6/22/19
    2019 Miles:
    6,100 as of 9/5

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Menomonie, Wi
    Posts
    920
    Hope you find the bike you want. Also hope that all that responded about "safety", also wear a helmet 100% of the time, and gear to match. ABS brakes don't save body parts, when things go wrong.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Thanks. I am aware it is still a bike, still has two wheels, but this will help me feel safer. One thing you don't want to be is in fear on a bike. Even if it makes me 10% safer on paper, but feel 80% safer, the net result is worth it.
    I was just about to say the same thing, Vstar. Even if, hypothetically, it were pure placebo effect, as long as there wasn't data suggesting ABS was increasing accidents, then it would be worth it to do just for peace of mind. It's just much better, and much more FUN, to be comfortable and happy doing whatever it is one is doing.

    That being said, ABS seems like a smart choice on a bike, and it seems to be doing exactly what it's designed to do, which is keep the rider upright and in control for longer, especially during panic braking and/or less than ideal conditions. Here's an article I read which talks about using ABS during rider training to get bikers closer to threshold braking without the consequences. Whatever you decide, good luck with it!!

    http://wingworldmag.com/safety/anti-lock-brakes/

    Jason

  8. #8
    Senior Member VStarRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Penfield, NY
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I was just about to say the same thing, Vstar. Even if, hypothetically, it were pure placebo effect, as long as there wasn't data suggesting ABS was increasing accidents, then it would be worth it to do just for peace of mind. It's just much better, and much more FUN, to be comfortable and happy doing whatever it is one is doing.

    That being said, ABS seems like a smart choice on a bike, and it seems to be doing exactly what it's designed to do, which is keep the rider upright and in control for longer, especially during panic braking and/or less than ideal conditions. Here's an article I read which talks about using ABS during rider training to get bikers closer to threshold braking without the consequences. Whatever you decide, good luck with it!!

    http://wingworldmag.com/safety/anti-lock-brakes/

    Jason
    Jason, thanks. I read the article at it confirms how I feel. Four years ago, I almost did not buy the F6B because of the lack of ABS. If the Vic CC Tour I rode wasn't such a thrown together, vibrating hunk of steel and chrome, I would have definitely gone for it. In fact, if in the same situation, knowing what I know now, I might be more inclined to go for the Vic because of the ABS.

    A full Wing with ABS is the way to go for all of the reasons you, I and the article said. Thanks again for sharing.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; 26,800 miles; sold
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; 2,100 miles; purchased 6/22/19
    2019 Miles:
    6,100 as of 9/5

  9. #9
    Senior Member Redlinez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    358
    I don't really have any feelings about ABS on a bike, but I did go from having a F6B to a full wing and really liked it. With my wife onboard, it felt more surefooted when pushing through the twisties. I definitely had more confidence riding it. Loved the bigger, adjustable windshield with a vent, reverse, and the electronically adjustable rear shock (even though I think the entire suspension needs to be upgraded with one of the three or so brands). Now I'm probably back out looking at either another F6B for full Wing. With my broken tailbone, I never was really comfortable on the B, which would mean getting an upgraded seat (most seem to be about $1000), another Clearview Shield $250, OEM passenger seatback kit $400 (if they're still available- it's a must). Then the difference in price is only $1500. A dealer about 250 miles away has F6B's for $13999 (Pete's Cycle) and my dealer has the GW for $16,999 and it's the black/gray/gold that I love.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Jason, thanks. I read the article at it confirms how I feel. Four years ago, I almost did not buy the F6B because of the lack of ABS. If the Vic CC Tour I rode wasn't such a thrown together, vibrating hunk of steel and chrome, I would have definitely gone for it. In fact, if in the same situation, knowing what I know now, I might be more inclined to go for the Vic because of the ABS.

    A full Wing with ABS is the way to go for all of the reasons you, I and the article said. Thanks again for sharing.
    No problem, VStar! Happy to hear of your new purchase and am looking forward to the ride review!!

    Jason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •