Clutch Reservoir EMPTY!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Reservoir EMPTY!!

Clutch Reservoir EMPTY!!

This is crazy. Went out to the garage.
    Started my 2015 F6B and let it warm up as usual. I put it in gear and it began creeping forward before I began releasing the clutch!
    I pulled the clutch in harder.. completely against the grip and it stopped moving forward.
    But, obviously, something was wrong.
    I looked down at the reservoir and didn't see any fluid. Not one drop.
    No leaks on the garage floor. Where did it go?
    Rode it 3 days ago, no problem.
    Thought maybe someone here could offer some suggestions before I blindly start taking it apart.

So I would first examine the bleed valve for the clutch actuator at the bottom front of the engine. Maybe you have minute seepage that is not apparent as a sudden loss of fluid. You may have been slowly losing it over time.

You're going to have to remove the front lower cowl and the evap canister to get to it.

Then, if nothing apparent refill the master clutch cylinder and flush the entire circuit. Then monitor it for loss of fluid.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

How many miles on scoot?
    Cutch wear?....as the clutch wears the clutch's slave cylinder's piston mover farther out thus needing more of the hydraulic fluid to fill the space. You can have the same situation on the brakes as they wear and the caliper piston move out... more fluid is needed to take up the space.
    Fill the reservoir and watch the level to make sure it is not going out like a leak somewhere. I believe it is also possible for the clutch slave cylinder fluid to leak into the engine so you might not see any fluid dripping.
    Please let us know what you find.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Here's a thread from a member that recently had issues with his clutch. I think you'll find it helpful with your troubleshooting:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1...OLVED-(I-hope)

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    How many miles on scoot?
    Cutch wear?....as the clutch wears the clutch's slave cylinder's piston mover farther out thus needing more of the hydraulic fluid to fill the space. You can have the same situation on the brakes as they wear and the caliper piston move out... more fluid is needed to take up the space.
    Fill the reservoir and watch the level to make sure it is not going out like a leak somewhere. I believe it is also possible for the clutch slave cylinder fluid to leak into the engine so you might not see any fluid dripping.
    Please let us know what you find.
    I've got 48k on the bike. This was not a gradual thing. Just had it out a few days before and usually ride at least once a week. Sometimes more often. I recall on my Valk when the bushing in the lever went bad but that was noticeably over a period of time. This happened suddenly. From operating normal to 'what the heck'. I've been reading a lot since this began and it would appear to be the slave cylinder. Talked to Honda and they are ordering a new slave and will have me bring bike in for closer examination upon arrival. . . Because, if it is the slave it is under my extended warranty.
    I'm hopeful.

gadgeteer - As willtill correctly points out, I had a similar issue recently. The level of my fluid was not low, but started having the bike creep with the clutch fully pulled in all of the sudden. Agree with willtill and BIGLRY that it likely went to the slave cylinder. While the fluid can go into the engine via a leaky slave cylinder, there is also a weep hole there that's supposed to allow it out and provide a visual indication of the leak (if it's not plugged).

Once you have the lower cowl and evap canister off, you'll be able to see the slave. The weep hole is on the casing just to the shifter side of the bike, just above the oil filter. It's easiest to see the weep hole if you also remove the lower side cover (that fits around the shifter). Please refer to the photo attached. It's at the orange arrow. In the interest of transparency...I don't own the photo...just found it on the interwebs.

weep hole.jpeg
    Last edited by rdbonds; 10-31-2020 at 10:49 AM.

By the way, if it's the slave cylinder, a complete unit is about $100 on line. Kit to rebuild it is <$30 online IIRC. Getting the air out of the system takes quite a bit of flushing/bleeding, BTW. Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Last edited by rdbonds; 10-31-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I'll let you know what happens after the Dealer gets the new slave valve and I take it it.
    I hate having my bike sitting in the garage like an invalid.

Here's the follow up.
    Took my bike to Cycle Center of Denton (Honda Dealer) Tuesday morning.
    No questions asked. The work order already had written on it "Warranty". YEA
    They replaced slave cylinder and flushed and filled with fresh fluid. Since that work was free I went ahead and had them flush the brake system too.
    BTW, I was shocked to see that the labor for the clutch side was free also. Sometimes warranties only include the part.
    Picked up the bike Tuesday afternoon and everything worked perfect.
    Last edited by gadgeteer; 11-11-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgeteer View Post
    Here's the follow up.
    Took my bike to Cycle Center of Denton (Honda Dealer) Tuesday morning.
    No questions asked. The work order already had written on it "Warranty". YEA
    They replaced slave cylinder and flushed and filled with fresh fluid. Since that work was free I went ahead and had them flush the brake system too.
    BTW, I was shocked to see that the labor for the clutch side was free also. Sometimes warranties only include the part.
    Picked up the bike Tuesday afternoon and everything worked perfect.
    A rare Stealership service success story. Check your bleed fittings for post repair leakage for at least few times... Trust.. but verify.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537