I did it - pulled trigger on '16 Level 3 full Wing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did it - pulled trigger on '16 Level 3 full Wing

I did it - pulled trigger on '16 Level 3 full Wing

I rode the F6 out to Syracuse today and took a look at basically a brand new Gold Wing Level 3 (Navi, XM, ABS), red and gray. It only has 2100 miles on it, and other than a thin layer of dust, it is a new bike.

I gave it the full look over, and the owner seems like a great guy. Older gentleman who is more focused on his car collection right now (quite impressive, includes an Aston Martin) than riding. I offered $16,500 and we agreed. The bike new was $28,000 in 2016.

This was a little quick to all happen, but I found that what someone had mentioned in my other post is that full Wings with Navi, XM, ABS, and airbag are hard to find. I figured I better jump on this one, considering its condition, miles, price and these features, and I did not have to buy a plane ticket to Topeka to get it.

Before all this, I had briefly contemplated a Vic Cross Country, as I did four years ago when I ended up buying the F6 new, because they are cheap, have ABS, storage and are nice looking bike. 2015 and 16s run about $12,000 around here. I quickly watched a video on how to remove the rear wheel, and that did it for me ... no thanks.

Now I have a bike with storage for my helmet, cruise, a pre-Apollo 13 navigation system, three years newer, and with 25,000 fewer miles than my current ride all for a little bit more than what I paid for my F6 new in 2015. I get to stick with the chassis that I have grown to appreciate over the past four years, with the engine I love, great handling, ride, easy maintenance, runs on piss and vinegar, and may be the most reliable touring motorcycle of all time.

Most importantly ... and basically 90% of the reason for this change in plans ... Anti. Lock. Brakes.

So, for the time being at least, there will be two Wings in garage; a black F6 and a red/gray full Wing.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 06-15-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Good for you, it sounds like a great bike choice.

Congrats, VStar!!! I love that red and gray paint scheme. It's sharp. Let us know what you think when you get some miles in.

Jason

Good for you. Even more comfier fir making another trip out west!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Good for you. Even more comfier fir making another trip out west!
    Funny you should mention that ... I have been thinking that this new ride might open up some more opportunities! I have ridden other bikes in Texas, Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory ... but have never taken any of my bikes out of New York State ... and that is about 50,000 miles of riding.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Congrats! I was looking at full wings because of the rear lighting and felt more protected. I went with another B because it was a deal I couldn't refuse money wise. Be safe and have a great time with it.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I rode the F6 out to Syracuse today and took a look at basically a brand new Gold Wing Level 3 (Navi, XM, ABS), red and gray. It only has 2100 miles on it, and other than a thin layer of dust, it is a new bike.

I gave it the full look over, and the owner seems like a great guy. Older gentleman who is more focused on his car collection right now (quite impressive, includes an Aston Martin) than riding. I offered $16,500 and we agreed. The bike new was $28,000 in 2016.

This was a little quick to all happen, but I found that what someone had mentioned in my other post is that full Wings with Navi, XM, ABS, and airbag are hard to find. I figured I better jump on this one, considering its condition, miles, price and these features, and I did not have to buy a plane ticket to Topeka to get it.

Before all this, I had briefly contemplated a Vic Cross Country, as I did four years ago when I ended up buying the F6 new, because they are cheap, have ABS, storage and are nice looking bike. 2015 and 16s run about $12,000 around here. I quickly watched a video on how to remove the rear wheel, and that did it for me ... no thanks.

Now I have a bike with storage for my helmet, cruise, a pre-Apollo 13 navigation system, three years newer, and with 25,000 fewer miles than my current ride all for a little bit more than what I paid for my F6 new in 2015. I get to stick with the chassis that I have grown to appreciate over the past four years, with the engine I love, great handling, ride, easy maintenance, runs on piss and vinegar, and may be the most reliable touring motorcycle of all time.

Most importantly ... and basically 90% of the reason for this change in plans ... Anti. Lock. Brakes.

So, for the time being at least, there will be two Wings in garage; a black F6 and a red/gray full Wing.
    Awesome, don't forget to update your sig!
    There are still zombies behind the wheel out there but your setup is probably as safe as motorcycles get. I too am a big fan of AB. I also believe the guards on the wing platform are as good as they get. Keep tucked in and let the guards do their job.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Funny you should mention that ... I have been thinking that this new ride might open up some more opportunities! I have ridden other bikes in Texas, Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory ... but have never taken any of my bikes out of New York State ... and that is about 50,000 miles of riding.
    I've been thinking about extending my rides into NY. The area NNW of Albany is asking me to explore. Actually, I've been thinking about riding all over North America! Gotta get going before I get too old!
    There is great riding in VT if you can avoid the tourist traffic. Only a couple of hours east of you.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Congratulations on your new ride you made a good choice.

As good as the new 1833 cc Wing is, the reduced luggage capacity makes it more of a sport-tourer in my opinion. The 1832 cc Wing is a real touring motorcycle, capable of comfortably carrying two full sized people and their stuff on a very long trip. Not only that, it has excellent power, handling, and braking, especially for such a large machine. It's probably the best and most reliable touring motorcycle ever built. To buy one that's essentially new and fully loaded for about half price is a steal.