Electric bags
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric bags

Electric bags

I sure don't understand this electric saddlebag opening thing to be so great. Yes I know the bags are locked stock and need a key to open but if you do the dummy key and knob for a couple of bucks you eliminate that problem. Yes it looks kool them opening up all by themselves so that is a plus. So with the dummy key in place and another bike with the electric installed both riders walk up to the bike needing into the bags. One has to pull the lever and the other takes his fob out and presses a button, not a huge difference. If leaving the bike locked the keyed bike has to remove the dummy key, not hard and yes the fob guy just walks away so still not a big difference. But something I'm thinking about is you got to remember to bring your fob every time you ride the bike, I'm sure I would fail at that often. You also have to hope the fob battery does not die and it will at some time. Bring an extra fob you say, yep that would be a backup plan. Last week I left my key on while inside a bar and ran my bike battery down to nothing, had to use my battery jump pack in the saddlebags to get started again. Wait if I had electric locks then the bags would not open allowing me to get to my jumper or any tools I had inside. It there a backup plan for a dead bike battery? Am I missing something about why these things are so great? Yes I understand if you have that Corbin Smuggler thing you have lost the levers and need the electric. Where is the scratching head icon?

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I love mine. I guess if you have the dummy key it’s not much more effort. I keep the fob attached to my key. I used some heat shrink tubing around it to keep it from rubbing/bouncing on the dash. I do keep a spare key hidden in the bike. I made a dummy key for the glove box and use it for the fuel door too.

What initially prompted me to get the opener was my wife. It would never fail I would be on the bike with it running when she would need to get into the bags. I went from having to shut the bike down and get off to unlock, to simply pushing a button. I even went one step further recently and bought her an Indian scout with her own bags......
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

Keeping it with your key is a good way to make sure it comes along for the ride. I'm guessing heavy rain won't get it wet and kill it, my key sure gets wet sometimes. Keeping it from bouncing as you do it a must. Quote: "I went from having to shut the bike down and get off to unlock, to simply pushing a button." That is comparing the locks to the stock set up, I'm talking about compared to the dummy key which does not require removing the ignition key to open bags. Have you made any plans for what to do with a dead bike battery like I had last week, can't even take the battery cover off without opening the bags. I'm thinking you might need a pig tail from the battery so you can give it a jump if needed. I think the battery tender lead might work for that.

Are you thinking about purchasing the MBL saddle bag system? Trying to get us to talk you out of it or something?

No not at all. trying to understand why anyone would think it is great to have. I know I do not want it but am amazed when multiple people say they love it or it is the best option that can be purchased when it seams almost useless to me. If I knew the reason I might want it also. I like adding crap on my bike.

My current solution would be to push start the bike. Shouldn’t take long to find someone willing. I would even say it would be easier than finding someone with cables. Depending on the situation I could probably do it myself. Then a simple button push and I’m in! I do understand it is not a necessity, but for me it works and I am happy with it.

Anyone tried push starting a wing? Am I mistaken in thinking it would be a possibility? I guess a trial run is in order....while I am still young-ish....
    Last edited by P.Sutton; 06-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Sutton View Post
    My current solution would be to push start the bike. Shouldn’t take long to find someone willing. I would even say it would be easier than finding someone with cables. Depending on the situation I could probably do it myself. Then a simple button push and I’m in! I do understand it is not a necessity, but for me it works and I am happy with it.

Anyone tried push starting a wing? Am I mistaken in thinking it would be a possibility? I guess a trial run is in order....while I am still young-ish....
    Ooof! Are you talking about pushing it yourself?? I've done that on a few bikes, including an 84 Standard Wing, but I would definitely like a little downhill help to pull it off with the B.

Jason

Not sure you can push start a fuel injected bike that is dead. Seems the computer needs to tell a lot of systems to go.
    Let me know if anyone had done it.

My old carbureted Venture would push start with ease with just a few feet of jump. This F6B I could not get it to push start at all with a good bit of roll done alone. Not sure if more help would have worked or not. That is why I now carry a small jump start.