Ten early impressions on transition from FGB to full Wing

Thread: Ten early impressions on transition from FGB to full Wing

Ten early impressions on transition from FGB to full Wing

Well, I picked up the new Wing this morning. Rode it home on a leisurely route from the burbs of Syracuse to Rochester.

Here are some differences between the two bikes: (I have 27,000 on my F6B)

1. The Wing seat/seating position is totally different than the F6B. You not only sit several inches further forward, you sit up much higher. It makes it seem like the gauges and windshield are much closer as a result. I guess I under-estimated how far back (relatively speaking) the F6 places you, especially with a Corbin seat. This also increases your field of vision by at least 1/3.

The full Wing seat itself is very plush and comfortable, but short for those of long leg (I have a 33" inseam). So far, despite how small the seat is compared to the stock F6B and F6B Corbin, it seems quite comfortable. I was on it for an hour without a sign of any soreness, hot spots, etc.

2. The electronically adjustable suspension is a hoot. The previous owner had it set at full preload (25) and I dialed it back to 15, then 10. The ride is quiet plush at that setting, and I may try 5 tomorrow. It has two memory settings as well.

3. The navigation system is not as bad as advertised. Sure, its as slow as sending a telegram to enter in an address or a destination, but once it has your route, it seems to work fine. (it feels like texting on a flip phone when entering information). I want to try the Honda Trip Planner website and see how that works. If it gets the job done, be on the lookout for my new, unopened Garmin 396 in the classifieds.

4. The handling is better than expected. I was worried that the extra ~100 lbs or so, plus the trunk, might make the full Wing a bit more top-heavy, but it seems to handle about the same as the F6 ... perhaps 10% more clumsy, but that might be due to the super soft suspension setting I am using.

5. The trunk is great - easily swallows up my XL Schuberth C3 Pro and armor jacket (when folded correctly).

6. Tried the cruise control today that is an awesome feature ... though with most of my riding on two-lane state and county highways, I probably won't use it much.

7. The exhaust is different sounding at cruising speed - seems the same as the F6 when accelerating though.

8. The rear speakers/elbow rests keep startling me ... when I see them in the mirrors, I think it is a black car right on my ass.

9. Nothappystad windscreen is better at eliminating buffing and noise the cheapo Honda windshield that comes standard with the Wing - but I did discover the advantages of the clear windscreen over the smoked Ragestad ... wow, it opens up the bottom third of your viewing area.

10. Central locking is very handy - at minimum, Honda should have added this feature to the F6B.

Check out these pics ... totally a first-world situation:

https://imgur.com/a/wx0gNVd
    Last edited by VStarRider; 06-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

My thoughts exactly. Always loved the full wing but most of all the seating position was not right for me. When the F6B came along and change that position I was in love had to have one and have enjoyed it from day one. I have a 2013 with 45K on it. She runs great and still looks fabulous. bunnyman bridge ride me.jpg

I like #8.
    Laughed my ### off.

Came off a 12 Full Wing when I picked up my new left over 13 6. I found the seating position great but I'm a 30 inseam! I loved the windshield with the vent but always believed it should have been electric to adjust. I took the Wing on several long trips including coast to coast. Could not beat it for traveling with the wife on the back. May return to one someday in the future but I am happy with the 6 right now. Enjoy your new ride.

I have a 13 F6B and a 14 Goldwing. I notice the seat height and set back every time I get on. I figure whatever one anybody rides they both great bikes.

FYI,,, as for the input of address into the navigation system, if you have a phone number available you can also enter the phone number instead of an entire address..Much easier!!!
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.