F6B where's the weight?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F6B where's the weight?

F6B where's the weight?

Hello, just thinking, with no real point, where's the weight in the F6B?
    I mean it's all plastic even the gas tank with an aluminum frame.
    The forks, wheels and tyres are common in size/weight to a lot of bikes. When I had the rear wheel off recently it didn't seem particularly heavy.
    So where are all those lbs hiding? Is it all in the engine.

Ever try to lift a goldwing motor?
    That and all other parts add up brothers her.

Yep, searched around and there are figures of 274 lbs for the engine. No scope for any weight loss that I can see.

The rest of the drive train isn't light, either. The massive forks and stout swingarm and final drive assemblies have to add some serious weight. But for all the weight, with such a low C.G. it handles very well for a large motorcycle. And the mileage isn't bad either. Last month at the Valkyrie rally in Taos I routinely got over 50 MPG with all the low speed sightseeing. I even got 64 MPG on one tank. That was a high point for any motorcycle I've ever owned.

I've gotten that 50+ mileage a few times. When I ride with the OFC. Old Farts Club.

The best thing about the GW / F6B's weight is that it's low, really low, compared to say a V-twin. The engine, tranny, rear drive, fuel tank are almost even with the axles. Makes handling great. Smart move Honda!

I wouldn't mind the 875+ lbs... and would accept a few more lbs IF they had put a Reverse on the scoot!

OlyF6B, I agree. Use the reverse on my Wing a few times a week, there are times it would be handy on the B/ But with so few comforts compared to Wings, I'm just happy for cruise and heated grips, use them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    The best thing about the GW / F6B's weight is that it's low, really low, compared to say a V-twin. The engine, tranny, rear drive, fuel tank are almost even with the axles. Makes handling great. Smart move Honda!
    Agreed, an opposed cylinder layout works great in a motorcycle. They're smooth, easy to maintain, and have a very low C.G. And the old airhead BMWs were cooled very well with the cylinders sticking out in the wind. I'm surprised flat engine layouts aren't more popular. I think the only motorcycle companies using it are Honda, BMW, and Ural. Porsche and Subaru are the only cars. Am I missing any?

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Agreed, an opposed cylinder layout works great in a motorcycle. They're smooth, easy to maintain, and have a very low C.G. And the old airhead BMWs were cooled very well with the cylinders sticking out in the wind. I'm surprised flat engine layouts aren't more popular. I think the only motorcycle companies using it are Honda, BMW, and Ural. Porsche and Subaru are the only cars. Am I missing any?
    Harley came out with one during WW2 to compete with z Germans, but only made a thousand of them and scrapped it after the American military went with the Jeep. It ran a hundred degrees cooler than their twins. It's a bummer to think about what might've been had they continued the ingenuity, instead of banking on brand loyalty.

Jason