Big Bike Parts: Smat Mount Driver Backrest - F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Bike Parts: Smat Mount Driver Backrest - F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Any first-person news yet?

Curious if the pivot bolt area is ~close~ enough to your spine that a person could make contact with it...

Good picture of it here from the front: http://wingstuff.com/products/35497-...-the-honda-f6b

Can't determine how far forward the pivot bolt is,,,,,

I had a BakUp backrest on my VTX for a very short while,,, Post came down in front of pillion,,, kept bumping my backside on steel,,, Returned it.
    Guess I cannot comment until Christmas Eve... A big box with multiple orders was delivered today, but I found it wrapped and under the tree...

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Guess I cannot comment until Christmas Eve... A big box with multiple orders was delivered today, but I found it wrapped and under the tree...

J
    How good are you with re-wrapping gifts???

I noticed from the assembly instructions that it is not removable. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not never having a back rest before. It may be one of those things I never want to take off once I see how nice it is.

Looking forward to the pictures and opinions( if Santa comes through)
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I noticed from the assembly instructions that it is not removable. I'm not sure if that's an issue or not never having a back rest before. It may be one of those things I never want to take off once I see how nice it is.

Looking forward to the pictures and opinions( if Santa comes through)

Kevin, here is an idea, and option: I always carry an 11 mm wrench with me, in the saddlebag, so that "if" I want to, I can adjust the backrest tilt to be more forward or more backward. I leave my Utopia backrest on all year long. The look of it does not detract from the looks of the bike...to me. Since I do not have a passenger backrest, but only a riders' backrest, the seat area does not look cluttered.

Here is the important part: If I am wanting to ride curvy roads, the Dragon's Tail, or Hell's canyon, I simply loosen the lock nut, loosen the allen head adjuster bolt, to move the backrest "back" out of my way, and then tighten the lock nut. Then I can ride the twisties all day, and not be encumbered by the feel of the backrest. If I want to ride a more relaxed ride all day (ha)...I can adjust the backrest slightly forward, to use as a backrest, and feel the support that it was designed for.

And...dependent on the thickness of my riding jacket...heated liner, etc....I can adjust the backrest to fit me correctly for that days' ride, by simply adjusting the set screw and lock nut. It takes about 30 seconds to make the adjustment, and then I am set for that days ride.

Why be stuck with a backrest that is forcing you forward...encumbering you...if you are wearing a thicker jacket or electric heated liner that day? Why be stuck with a backrest that is in your way, when you are riding through Hells' canyon, and wanting to feel the twisties, and not the backrest poking at you? A very simple adjustment makes a world of difference, with one 11 mm wrench.

BTW, Kevin, if "she" has not already ordered the backrest, here is a link to the Utopia backrest sold on......WINGSTUFF.

http://wingstuff.com/products/35063-...context=utopia

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Kevin, here is an idea, and option: I always carry an 11 mm wrench with me, in the saddlebag, so that "if" I want to, I can adjust the backrest tilt to be more forward or more backward. I leave my Utopia backrest on all year long. The look of it does not detract from the looks of the bike...to me. Since I do not have a passenger backrest, but only a riders' backrest, the seat area does not look cluttered.

Here is the important part: If I am wanting to ride curvy roads, the Dragon's Tail, or Hell's canyon, I simply loosen the lock nut, loosen the allen head adjuster bolt, to move the backrest "back" out of my way, and then tighten the lock nut. Then I can ride the twisties all day, and not be encumbered by the feel of the backrest. If I want to ride a more relaxed ride all day (ha)...I can adjust the backrest slightly forward, to use as a backrest, and feel the support that it was designed for.

And...dependent on the thickness of my riding jacket...heated liner, etc....I can adjust the backrest to fit me correctly for that days' ride, by simply adjusting the set screw and lock nut. It takes about 30 seconds to make the adjustment, and then I am set for that days ride.

Why be stuck with a backrest that is forcing you forward...encumbering you...if you are wearing a thicker jacket or electric heated liner that day? Why be stuck with a backrest that is in your way, when you are riding through Hells' canyon, and wanting to feel the twisties, and not the backrest poking at you? A very simple adjustment makes a world of difference, with one 11 mm wrench.

BTW, Kevin, if "she" has not already ordered the backrest, here is a link to the Utopia backrest sold on......WINGSTUFF.

http://wingstuff.com/products/35063-...context=utopia

Thanks for the info Miles, that's helpful to know. I will definitely considering the Utopia, I like the looks of the Big Bike Parts rest but will consider both.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Removing Smart Mount Backrest from Big Bike Parts

All you need to remove most of the backrest is a 7/16" wrench and a 3/16" Allen wrench. It takes about 30 seconds to remove it from the bracket that comes through the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Laker View Post
    All you need to remove most of the backrest is a 7/16" wrench and a 3/16" Allen wrench. It takes about 30 seconds to remove it from the bracket that comes through the seat.
    But I believe it still leaves a bracket sticking up unlike the Utopia which is flush.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sitting Flush

The Utopia will only be flat if you pay the extra $65 for the quick remove mount. Now you are at $265 with the big square pad.

You are correct. Utopia probably makes a better backrest but I like the looks of Big Bikes. Fashion over function I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Fashion over function I guess.

What ? What did you just say ?