Dammit, Honda!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dammit, Honda!

Dammit, Honda!

So, the F6 is sold as of this afternoon. Had more interest in than I expected. Used FB Marketplace and Craigslist, and FB generates far more interest. Two week turnaround time, and got more for it than I feared I might have to take.

The eventual buyer took a look at it Sunday evening, and I rode it to a nearby park to meet him. I have only been riding the new to me full Wing since June 15.

Only a mile away, I rode it and sat on my Corbin seat and that much different seating position and thought to myself, “Dammit, Honda! Why couldn’t you put ABS on these bikes?!?!” If they had, I have no reason to sell.

While that’s my reason, most tire kickers that took a look at the bike said they’ve loved it since it came out, but lack of cruise control is what kept them from buying and keeps them from buying used.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I'm sorry. I've never felt handicapped because I didn't have abs. The B has the best brakes of any bike I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I'm sorry. I've never felt handicapped because I didn't have abs. The B has the best brakes of any bike I've ever owned.
    I kinda think that some of the potential buyers for your bike were using these issues as an excuse of sorts...I have never ever had any braking issues with my 2013 deluxe and never had any reason to use cruise control...I guess some feel these extras are necessary otherwise Ma Honda would probably not have put them on newer models...In any event, glad you sold your bike and I hope you enjoy the full wing....Regards
    Last edited by opas ride; 07-11-2019 at 09:13 AM.

I am starting to see low mileage (2-5k mi) DCT wings for $15,999 - $16,999. Has me thinking but not willing to take $11k for my 2014 Deluxe with 10k miles. $12,500 gets my interest though. Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Well, it wasn’t an issue for you ... you bought one!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

My Wing has ABS, don't miss it (as of yet anyway) on the B. Would rather it did have it, but not a deal killer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Well, it wasn’t an issue for you ... you bought one!
    Never owned a bike with abs. Can't miss what you don't have. You can't replace skill and ability with electronics. If you think you can't lose the front with abs , you're wrong. Being aware of the conditions and making changes accordingly will make a difference. You've changed everything about your ride staking your well being on abs. It's not the end all answer to adverse conditions and situations.

You can't replace skill and ability with electronics.
    Well, that's debatable. But more importantly, often you can't replace adrenaline with skill and ability.... That instant preceeding a "panic" stop doesn't give enough time for skill and ability to over ride the reflex of grabbing a handful of brake. The bike goes down because the wheel locks instantly, and you haven't even got to the scene of the crash yet! That's when (and only when) you'll "miss" ABS. In controlled settings, you're correct, ABS will not better a skilled rider (racers don't typically use it). An expert rider can apply the brakes in such a way as to first transfer weight, maximize the contact patch, and then squeeze on the exact pressure to just about lock the wheel. But this is when he (or she) has the opportunity to be anticipating the brake marker. Lap after lap. He is completely absorbed in picking that brake point and then maximizing braking performance. On the street however, when a deer runs out, or the mattress flies off the truck, most riders - even experts who are fully engaged in the ride - will often not be able to control that first snatch of the lever.
    Last edited by DarkKnt; 07-11-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Emergency braking is one of the most important skills to practice I think. And yes these bikes have really good brakes, the best I've ever had on a bike. I still bet ABS would be even better for the average Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Emergency braking is one of the most important skills to practice I think. And yes these bikes have really good brakes, the best I've ever had on a bike. I still bet ABS would be even better for the average Joe!
    Totally agree my 2013 F6B has ABS and it worked for me when confronting 3 kangaroos. I sure would like cruise though.