Dammit, Honda! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dammit, Honda!

There is a huge fundamental difference in the members on this forum. It's completely different way of thinking. Some people want the challenge of being in total control of their machine. Every aspect of the ride is up to them and all decisions will be theirs to live and die by. Others don't want all the responsibility and decisions left up to them preferring to have certain aspects of the ride set in stone. A baseline if you will. Certain things that they don't have to worry about or prepare for. I'm not saying one or the other is bad or good. I think it follows social lines. Some people are more proactive than others. I've always preferred to be in control of my own destiny. I don't leave anything to chance and I always try to control the situation. Preparation is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    There is a huge fundamental difference in the members on this forum. It's completely different way of thinking. Some people want the challenge of being in total control of their machine. Every aspect of the ride is up to them and all decisions will be theirs to live and die by. Others don't want all the responsibility and decisions left up to them preferring to have certain aspects of the ride set in stone. A baseline if you will. Certain things that they don't have to worry about or prepare for. I'm not saying one or the other is bad or good. I think it follows social lines. Some people are more proactive than others. I've always preferred to be in control of my own destiny. I don't leave anything to chance and I always try to control the situation. Preparation is key.
    Cooter, I agree with what you wrote above, in spirit. I might frame each side of the ABS debate differently but the essence of it would be the same.

I get the perspective of wanting full control of your ride and the risk that comes with that ... I can see the sense of freedom in that.

I don’t see having ABS as giving up anything in my riding experience, but this is why we have differing opinions. I appreciate the civil discussion and which this could happen far more often in our state and national capitols.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    You can't replace skill and ability with electronics.
    Well, that's debatable. But more importantly, often you can't replace adrenaline with skill and ability....
    This is when ABS becomes quite valuable.

allen

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Cooter, I agree with what you wrote above, in spirit. I might frame each side of the ABS debate differently but the essence of it would be the same.

I get the perspective of wanting full control of your ride and the risk that comes with that ... I can see the sense of freedom in that.

I don’t see having ABS as giving up anything in my riding experience, but this is why we have differing opinions. I appreciate the civil discussion and which this could happen far more often in our state and national capitols.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

Can't believe that this could be turned into another political discussion, but there you have it....

I don't understand why you are griping about our posts. You don't have to click on it or even read it. It's not political , it's social. V-Star and I have both been respectful and polite. If we can't have posts like this then why have a forum. I didn't even mention Trump. Yet.

According to Pirsig, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" Quality is made up from two approaches, Classic & Romantic.
    The Classic approach takes the underlying form and derives Quality from a very scientific perspective.
    The Romantic view looks at the whole entity and derives Quality from the overall effect on the individual.

Some people like to be in complete control of everything.
    Others are content with chosen aspects of their 'everything' relegated to some sort of automation.
    This goes to everything from riding, to cooking, to purchasing almost anything, to paying taxes.

It's not that one way is superior, or even better, it's just the way we choose to think.
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS - as a first born son & aircraft pilot, I have learned that I am a controller. I need to be in charge of everything that affects me.
    How do I "control" the paying taxes gig? I vote, and I delegate that process to my wife who really enjoys numbers.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I'm pretty sure that's what I said Steve. I'm not the great orator that you are but I try. I do respect other peoples opinion and their right to do it their way.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I guess the over-arching thing here, as represented by several posts, is: don't panic.
    Maybe that's easier for me to say than most, being a 20 year military helicopter test pilot with over 170 combat missions.
    Maybe I'm full of sh*t.

But I firmly believe that anytime you allow your brain to "permit panic", you are inviting unwanted variables.

Assuming an average IQ & physical fitness....muscle memory, perfect practice, and repetition of proper techniques will save your adrenaline filled, panic stricken brain better than technology.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Perfect Steve...Panic kills