Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
You can't replace skill and ability with electronics.
Well, that's debatable. But more importantly, often you can't replace adrenaline with skill and ability.... That instant preceeding a "panic" stop doesn't give enough time for skill and ability to over ride the reflex of grabbing a handful of brake. The bike goes down because the wheel locks instantly, and you haven't even got to the scene of the crash yet! That's when (and only when) you'll "miss" ABS. In controlled settings, you're correct, ABS will not better a skilled rider (racers don't typically use it). An expert rider can apply the brakes in such a way as to first transfer weight, maximize the contact patch, and then squeeze on the exact pressure to just about lock the wheel. But this is when he (or she) has the opportunity to be anticipating the brake marker. Lap after lap. He is completely absorbed in picking that brake point and then maximizing braking performance. On the street however, when a deer runs out, or the mattress flies off the truck, most riders - even experts who are fully engaged in the ride - will often not be able to control that first snatch of the lever.
Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
Emergency braking is one of the most important skills to practice I think. And yes these bikes have really good brakes, the best I've ever had on a bike. I still bet ABS would be even better for the average Joe!
I don't think it's as debate-able as alleged, but maybe for the "average Joe"?

Okay, simple question:
Why be average?
(The average guy drives a Ford E______)

I encourage everyone to be "better than average."
In the high risk experience that is motorcycling, "average" isn't good enough.
Strive to be better than others around you in the Quality that is YOUR motorcycle riding.

How?
Take a class or two and LEARN techniques for PROPERLY employing your brakes and while you're at it, learn some cornering skills?

We all know that ABS, when engaged, actually INCREASES your stopping distance.
Properly applied brakes, whether ABS of not, will give you the MINIMUM stopping distance available for that particular scenario.

If you KNOW you are not using and practicing threshold braking religiously abilities and have no desire to do so, then yes, ABS is your crutch.
Please enjoy responsibly.
Cheers,
Steve