Put a trauma kit in your bags, everyone, please.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put a trauma kit in your bags, everyone, please.

Put a trauma kit in your bags, everyone, please.

Had a rider down today on a charity ride. Not really his fault but his Harley blew the drive belt on a turn, pitched him and he did three flips at 65mph. I was first to get to him and had my trauma pack ready. Horrible to witness or see, but those supplies helped a great deal today. You never want to use them but you should have them.

Any recommendations? Many appear to be more flash than function.

Thor, I bought a basic first aid kit on Amazon then added some stuff I thought would be needed on a bike kit, like a clotting agent with another trauma pack, gauze and a quality tourniquet other than that after today, I know I need more sterile pads and gauze and rolls, so I doubled up the re supply. The gloves and scissors in my initial kit were beneficial.

I will be looking for one now. I have a basic first aid kit, but I’m sure there is a good bit that could be added to it.

How's the rider doing?
    any idea how many miles on the HD's belt? Sprockets should be changed when the belt is.
    A buddy was riding around with half the teeth on the belt missing & both sprockets worn out. He had a time bomb between his legs.
    I once heard they're good for 100,000 miles. Of course he could have picked up a rock or something.

I once read a post by an Adventure rider. He noted that in this day and age with communications and accessibility, all you really need is the ability to stanch major bleeding. Most of us ride within phone range of 911 services. So, I carry two blood clot kits, a tourniquet, and an epi-pen. I’ll leave the setting of bones and stitching of gashes to the ER doc.

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

Yeah Agreed, we were about 30-40 minutes from help getting there. He has a collapsed lung, lacerated spleen, compound clavicle, broken scapula, lot of shredded skin on his face, looked like left orbital was really bad as well, here is a link of me rolling up to the crash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC3D6ccf3H4

This has some really good options for trauma kits, some pricy some affordable, https://emttrainingstation.com/best-trauma-bag/. Mine is pretty much like the third one but I added additional trauma kit with clotting agents (sponges), more gauze and tape. The nurse that came to the scene from a local farm nearby used most of my stuff including the gloves so we could keep it sterile. This investment paid for itself to me, if it can help one person down, it's worth it. I am adding a couple SAM splints to mine today.
    Last edited by Vandal; 07-15-2019 at 07:10 AM.

In all honesty, I wouldn’t worry too much about sterility. He would get a full washout and a bevy of antibiotics at the hospital. Besides that, placing dry gauze on scrapes will end up embedding in the surface and will hurt like a hell and restart bleeding when it is peeled off at the hospital. Any wound not spouting, I’d just leave it alone. If you have a bleeder, hold pressure until it stops, then leave it alone. Good point about disposable gloves, though. I’ll throw a few pair in my kit.

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

Trauma kits are for those who know how to use them.
    But still a good idea.
    ITS ALL GOOD