2018-19 Goldwing rear suspension
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Goldwing rear suspension

2018-19 Goldwing rear suspension

Can anyone tell me if the rear suspension on the 2019-19 Goldwing (F6B) version the same as our older F6B's? Getting over my spinal fusion I know I will need something suspension wise that will be easy on my spine. I am looking at these new wings(none tour) and have also heard that theIndians have great suspension . I would appreciate input from any of you that have knowledge about the new wing or the Indians. Thanks. F6Broy

Your not gonna find any bike that will be easy on your spine.
    I had to quit riding for a year. After that all was good again.
    I did ride some too soon after and caused a delay in the fusion taking hold.
    I actually felt it brake loose after it healed a bit.
    ITS ALL GOOD

You might consider looking at the BMW K1600 B or Grand America. Electronic, semi-active suspension with over 5" of travel at both ends. The ride is pretty plush compared to my F6b. You will still take some big hits on any bike, but the BMW does a great job. Most of the comparison test reports give the suspension edge to the BMW over the new Wing. And then there is all that power …………! Even more important - give that fusion time to fully heal!

I have ridden both the Indian Chieftain and the BMW K1600 and they have great suspension on the rear compared to the F6B in my opinion..I had a 2011 Victory Vision Tour which rode like soft butter over bumps and was a great ride...I would assume the new Goldwing Tours with adjustable rear suspensions are good also, but I doubt the 2018/19 standard Goldwing is much better than the older ones...JMHO and heal first before you try to ride again....Regards

Opas ride, thanks for the information. This is what I was looking for. First hand information on these suspensions. I was sure several of our folks had knowledge about theses suspensions. Going to buy something in September. That will be 6 months post surgery. Trying to be patient. Thanks again. F6Broy

F6Broy - I hope you're recovering well. One of the key challenges with most cruiser style bikes (even the Wing) is the relatively short suspension travel. They are often a bit firm to keep from bottoming out.

Heading in the other direction on suspension travel, another bike to consider might be a BMW R1200GS. I have an 08GS Adventure as a second bike, and it has tons of travel, and rides super soft compared to my F6B. On the soft suspension setting, it's downright cushy. They're surprisingly cheap, too. Even though they start life as expensive as a Full Wing, units ~10-12 years old are shockingly cheap, and level off at that price...so even if you buy one and ride it or a year, you can usually sell it for pretty close to what you paid and go back to your trusty F6B when you are more ready for the firmer ride.

Since I'm no longer an F6B owner, I was refraining from posting. Since somebody else already mentioned the BMW, I'll chime in as well. I moved on from the F6B to a BMW r1200rt. The r1200rt by far has the best suspension I've tried on a motorcycle.
    I miss the smooth F6B engine and I'd argue that the F6B is a little more stable on the freeway but believe the r1200rt wins all other categories easily. The center of gravity is fairly low, it weighs 200 lbs less, has good enough torque everywhere, handles awesomely, and has fantastic suspension. Truly the first bike that I think is great on the highway, on the twisties, and in the garage. I will soon own only one motorcycle for the first time in many years. I know i sound like a BMW fanboy but believe me, I was anti BMW anything until I owned this motorcycle.
    If you're looking for better suspension or a lighter replacement for the gl1800 platform, give the r1200 platform a try. It may take a bit to get used to the ugly motor and ugly sounds but the performance is fantastic.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Rdbonds, thanks for the idea. I never considered a beemer gs .always thought they were ugly but he people that own them, love them. I may have to ride one to see if I get past the looks! Lol. Thanks. Roy

JGF6B, thanks for the feedback. Years ago I owned a R1100rt. It did everything well but just did not light my fire. However, I am in a different place now and the reduced weight and good suspension might win me over but I sure will miss the F6b engine! Age and damage are making me reconsider a lot of things. Roy

I hear you. I still struggle with the looks of the r1200rt. There is no way I would have owned one 10 or 20 years ago. I was looking for something between my f6b and ninja 1000, the r1200rt is it so far. 4k miles over 5 weekends of day rides and I'm still believing the r1200rt is the bike for me. The suspension is the best part. If you can get past the part where you're looking for the mower deck underneath, it truly is a fantastic ride. Yes, it sounds like a John Deere.
    Riding the upward spiral.