Moving to Florida

Thread: Moving to Florida

Moving to Florida

Hello guys.
    We are moving to Florida next month to the Hernando County area (tentatively) and I would like to know if there are any riders from that area than can give me advice for places to look for a house. We're leaving next week to look for a house, and we're planning on looking around Brooksville, Lecanto, Crystal River, Inverness, and Citrus Springs among others. We don't want to be too close to big cities or crowds, and we want something close to the gulf rather than the ocean.
    Thanks for any input and happy rides!

Find yourself a Realtor and not one from an internet company like Zillo, they just give you a name of someone who is paying them money. Maybe someone here can recommend one they know or just call a Remax office or other well known name. They are free to the Buyers as fees are paid by the Sellers if you have a Realtor or not. Exception for "For sale by Owner".

Tough call. Do lots of research on the areas you're interested in. It's on the internet. This is the Bible belt, so there's plenty of churches. Home prices run from a 3-5K for a older mobile in a park, to 150-200k with some land for a modest home, to off the chart for a McManson. Don't pay full asking. I moved from the Fl. Keys, 19 years there, to central Fl. 5 years here, I wish I was back in the Keys. But the Keys are way to costly with my retirement income. Don't make any knee jerk decisions. Good luck.

I live in Lecanto and like it here a lot. We moved here two years ago from Inverness because we wanted to get a little further from town, Inverness has areas like that, we just weren't in one of them.
    Any area you mentioned is a good choice. Consider flood insurance cost, in some areas it's outrageous and in some areas it's in line with any other part of the country. When developers built subdivisions they also, in many cases, built the roads. It's good to know who is responsible for your road maintenance, in some areas it's the home owners or an HOA. In other areas your road maintenance is covered by the road taxes you're paying anyway.
    Good luck with your search! There is most always something going on in the areas you mentioned and believe it or not, we have some curves! In fact this is an excellent m/c area.

We live in Weeki Wachee (Hernando County)...moved here from Tampa about a year and a half ago. Cost of living is generally much lower here, as are the taxes, homeowners insurance, car and bike insurance, etc. We have what some may call a "McMansion", but there is plenty of good housing here in all price ranges. It all depends on what you are looking for (gated community, golf course communities, etc.). Homes where I live range from the upper 300's to well over 2 million. As I said...it all depends on what you are looking for in a home/community.
    The riding around here is relatively good...well, as good as Florida gets in my opinion. There are a lot of mc riders in this area...and lots of activities as well.
    Good luck with your search. I concur with the advice to find and retain a good realtor. Good luck, and hope you find your dream home!
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Tough call. Do lots of research on the areas you're interested in. It's on the internet. This is the Bible belt, so there's plenty of churches. Home prices run from a 3-5K for a older mobile in a park, to 150-200k with some land for a modest home, to off the chart for a McManson. Don't pay full asking. I moved from the Fl. Keys, 19 years there, to central Fl. 5 years here, I wish I was back in the Keys. But the Keys are way to costly with my retirement income. Don't make any knee jerk decisions. Good luck.
    McConnells Pub on Duval has the 2nd best Reuben sandwich I ever had in my life.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Where was the #1 best Reuben sandwich?

I lived on Big Pine Key, 30 miles from Key West. Went to KW for some of their special events, fantasy fest was my favorite, for open minded adults only. Google fantasy fest key west. Rare for me to eat there..... Favorite eating joint Square Grouper mm 22.5 Cudjoe Key, favorite watering holes Tiki Bar & Boon Docks both on Ram Rod Key & fairly close to home. In my cage, I'm a 2 beer per night guy, on my bike "0" beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne06 View Post
    Where was the #1 best Reuben sandwich?
    https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Been there! Carnegie was good too...unfortunately they closed. My best: Slymans.com

We just don't have those type of good delicatessens here in the Weeki Wachee area...surprising since everyone down here seems to be from up north!