To seat or not to Seat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To seat or not to Seat

Cool To seat or not to Seat

OK guys.
    So i know that there are all kinds of discussions about how to reach the proper high or how to go about it, so here is my bit. As much as I like to do it, it seems to me than a lowering kit is a bit to risky expensive especially when cornering and taking tight turns, and it doesn't look like there are any seats that can really bring your feet flat enough on the ground, and as for modifying the stock seat, it really looks like an expensive proposition. In my case, I sent my seat to a place in North Carolina (meancitycycles) but the end result was OK at best. They said they couldn't lower the seat too much and they installed a back rest. For the price it didn't look like I had a good deal, but I ended up kind of accepting it because I was tired of trying. I tried the mustang seat, but although it was a lot softer than the stock, it brought me back to my old problem of reaching the handlebar, no back rest, and it was higher than the stock so I returned it. As of now, I can almost plant half my foot on the ground and suffer a little trying to back up, but at least the back rest and the risers I installed help me, and I feel fairly comfortable while riding, but I have to stop often because the seat is too hard. I have a cushion that, although could make the ride a bit more comfortable, it rises the bike about half an inch... so you get the idea. All this said, do anybody know of a better alternative? although I'm not really that short (5' 8"ish) there has to be more options out there!
    I love my bike, but I can understand why some folks rather buy a different kind of bike because of that very issue.
    Happy rides!

Quote Originally Posted by perohijo View Post
    OK guys.
    So i know that there are all kinds of discussions about how to reach the proper high or how to go about it, so here is my bit. As much as I like to do it, it seems to me than a lowering kit is a bit to risky expensive especially when cornering and taking tight turns, and it doesn't look like there are any seats that can really bring your feet flat enough on the ground, and as for modifying the stock seat, it really looks like an expensive proposition. In my case, I sent my seat to a place in North Carolina (meancitycycles) but the end result was OK at best. They said they couldn't lower the seat too much and they installed a back rest. For the price it didn't look like I had a good deal, but I ended up kind of accepting it because I was tired of trying. I tried the mustang seat, but although it was a lot softer than the stock, it brought me back to my old problem of reaching the handlebar, no back rest, and it was higher than the stock so I returned it. As of now, I can almost plant half my foot on the ground and suffer a little trying to back up, but at least the back rest and the risers I installed help me, and I feel fairly comfortable while riding, but I have to stop often because the seat is too hard. I have a cushion that, although could make the ride a bit more comfortable, it rises the bike about half an inch... so you get the idea. All this said, do anybody know of a better alternative? although I'm not really that short (5' 8"ish) there has to be more options out there!
    I love my bike, but I can understand why some folks rather buy a different kind of bike because of that very issue.
    Happy rides!
    What Mustang did you have that is higher than the stock seat?

I'm 5' 8"+ with a 30" inseam, with a Mustang seat which is lower than stock and I have no problems with touching the ground.

RDL is the best money you'll ever spend on your bike

Russell Day long, Bill Mayer, Laam etc. can all make a saddle that can be adjusted to fit you. RDL seats tend to push most riders up but a phone call to them can verify if they can lower you. They can move you up, back, down and all around to make the profile what you want. You could also run some lower profile tires to drop the bike a little. Personally I'd shy away from lowering the bike in any way be it suspension mods or tires because the cornering clearance is already low enough on these bikes. I'd go with pullback risers to start with to get you sitting ack into the bike. If you can't reach, try a seat that moves you forward an inch or so. The bike is more narrow as you move closer to the tank and you might pick up a little reach there as well.

You need the bike to fit. 5'8" isn't short by any means but if you have a taller torso and shorter legs, you might need a different bike. The GL series bikes are about the largest bikes on the road and they aren't for everyone no matter how many mods you add to make it work. That being said, I once saw a barely 5'0 tall woman on a GL1800 and she handled the bike like a pro so it's not the skill that counts here, It's the fit. There are smaller motorcycles to fit smaller riders. I'm 6'0" and these bikes are almost too big for me. It's just a thought you could consider, not directing anything harsh or negative in any way. Not everyone fits every bike, that's why they come with so many different sizes and options.

I agree with olegoat on recommending the RDL even though he has a Corbin in his picture ;-)
    The stoichiometric mixture for a gasoline engine is the ideal ratio of air to fuel that burns all fuel with no excess air. For gasoline fuel, the
    stoichiometric air–fuel mixture is about 14.7:1 i.e. for every one gram of fuel, 14.7 grams of air are required. - Wiki

I am also of short inseam, so to speak, and have the Mustang seat on my bike..I also had a 1/2" higher rubber soles and heels put on my riding boots by a local boot shop, and "walla" no issues with reaching the ground flat-footed...I can't help you with the bar issue but perhaps you might try risers or the Heli-bars some have found as a good solution. Don't understand why your not happy with the Mustang seat as mine works great for me...Regards

It's now a a Corbin Smuggler (trunk) with a RDL saddle. After talking to Jay @ RDL, I stripped off the cover & foam & started grinding away. The pan was a tad over 1.5" in places & there was nothing in other places, voids. I added fiberglass, in the open area voids, sanded & ground away the thick areas, until I got the entire pan about 1/4 " Sent it off to RDL & Jay said it's great. He put my photos on their site. Don't know if they're still on there or not. My butt is always smiling after a day long ride on a Russell Day Long. Pun intended.

Well lets see. I had my stock seat lowered and inch, so they said (meancitycycles) and that lowered the bike a bit and they also installed a back rest. I also installed risers so reaching to the handlebars is not a problem. I can plant my foot on the ground when I stop, but I have to move forward a little in order to do that, in other words, I cannot plant my foot flat if I try to seat normally against the back rest while stopped. So under normal riding conditions I am fine except for the fact that the seat is too hard and I have to take breaks every 100 or 150 miles, depending how I feel that day. Since they lowered the bike and took foam out of it, that makes the seat harder. To answer the question about the Mustang seat, I tried it after I did the mods on the bike and when I rode with it, I had a harder time trying to each the handle bar and, this is how it felt, the seat felt wider on the front making it harder to plant my feet on the ground and no back rest since the rear of the seat is too far back, hence the problem with reaching the handle bar. With the back rest on my stock seat I seat comfortably close to the handle bar and plant my feet mostly flat but really, the main problem is that is too hard for long rides.
    I may try Russell and see how it feels. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    It's now a a Corbin Smuggler (trunk) with a RDL saddle. After talking to Jay @ RDL, I stripped off the cover & foam & started grinding away. The pan was a tad over 1.5" in places & there was nothing in other places, voids. I added fiberglass, in the open area voids, sanded & ground away the thick areas, until I got the entire pan about 1/4 " Sent it off to RDL & Jay said it's great. He put my photos on their site. Don't know if they're still on there or not. My butt is always smiling after a day long ride on a Russell Day Long. Pun intended.
    Couldn't agree more, RDL is by far the best investment I did to my bike, second is Heli-Bars.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, RDL is by far the best investment I did to my bike, second is Heli-Bars.

all the steel steeds I own and ride more that 50 miles have RDL saddles on them, been that way since 1979 when I got my first RDL.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/