Protocol and hand signals, questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protocol and hand signals, questions

Protocol and hand signals, questions

Ok so don't be offended like my buddy was this last week. Honest question. I assume this is merely protocol among an agreed group or club ride thing, but I went on a 5 day run with five other bikers/friends this last week through Oregon and Washington. three of us do not do the hand signal thing and the other three do. The lead biker was bent out of shape about us not doing the hand signals every time, which to me was more of a puppet show, who does hand signals on off ramps and coming into small towns where you know you have to slow down, there are speed markers and stop signs? We get it, we can see it.

I understand pointing out obstructions and debris in the road, but I honestly see more risk in having every biker in a small or large chain, do the hand signals for every lane change, slow down to stop, take off ramps, etc. it takes their hands off the bars and we have turn indicators and brake lights.

Anyone else run into this while riding with others? It came to the point I am just either riding in the back or not going to ride with those that get so upset about not passing signals back. This is a guy who does the HOG rides every weekend and likes to play road captain. Not my thing really to do that, to me its safer to just ride and obey traffic signs.

Vandal,

I have never encountered this behavior or the accompanying attitude, but I seldom ride in groups of more than three since I personally feel that riding in a large group hinders my ride because it hinders my control if a situation happens since I have to be prepared for other riders reactions along with my own. I will ride in slow groups like Toys for Tots or the Washington D.C. Biker rides, but as a rule I avoid groups.
    Defiant77
    Tampa Bay

Let him ride in the lead if he wants to be an alfa.
    I always ride in the back. I don't like others riding behind me for some reason.
    And its easy to leave the pack form that position.
    Yes I have seen this behavior.
    The last time it was from a friend of a friend (a cop) who had to be in the lead by racing out in front of everybody, on a very loud Harley,
    with an open beer in his cup holder no less...
    I didn't finish that ride with them either.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Been there. For me, it ruins the enjoyment of the ride. I really dislike riding in groups. I've found, most often, the ones that raise the most hell are the one's that don't ride much OR they have control issues & want boss everyone around. Those guys (yes, it's always a man) need to relax & take a breath. The group we ride with once in a while, has very few rules. Bikes, then trikes & keep up w/ the group. Once in a while there's someone in the group that's giving all sorts of hand signals, which are most often confusing, mean very little, & I pay NO attention to & do not puppet them. Due to previous very close calls, I ride on the right, next to the bike path and if you a problem with that, "oh well" .

I’ve ridden with both types of groups. When I had CB a group I rode with would call out every little patch of sand, every flat rodent, every twig, and what wheel track they were in. Including if it was on the center line. Other groups would toe point all of the same things. Yesterday I was on a charity ride. Top speed of about 40-50 mph. The guy ahead of me would give the single file signal for every bicycle or pedestrian that was “stopped “ on the shoulder of the road.�� several of the groups I ride with have come to the group understanding that a toe point or the gravel sign at a turn is only used when it’s absolutely needed. The trick is to avoid the group herd mentality. When I’m riding with a group my mentality is the same as if I am riding by myself. Always scanning.

Yes hand signals can help and yes some RCs go overboard. I think you need to know your riding partners well before agreeing to go on a five day trip to avoid such problems. On day rides you have to either follow the RC instructions or not ride with him in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Ok so don't be offended like my buddy was this last week. Honest question. I assume this is merely protocol among an agreed group or club ride thing, but I went on a 5 day run with five other bikers/friends this last week through Oregon and Washington. three of us do not do the hand signal thing and the other three do. The lead biker was bent out of shape about us not doing the hand signals every time, which to me was more of a puppet show, who does hand signals on off ramps and coming into small towns where you know you have to slow down, there are speed markers and stop signs? We get it, we can see it.

I understand pointing out obstructions and debris in the road, but I honestly see more risk in having every biker in a small or large chain, do the hand signals for every lane change, slow down to stop, take off ramps, etc. it takes their hands off the bars and we have turn indicators and brake lights.

Anyone else run into this while riding with others? It came to the point I am just either riding in the back or not going to ride with those that get so upset about not passing signals back. This is a guy who does the HOG rides every weekend and likes to play road captain. Not my thing really to do that, to me its safer to just ride and obey traffic signs.
    Maybe it's the only thing he's got going for him in life. Too bad. I won't ride with a group using this ridiculous crap. I want my eyes on the bigger picture, not looking at the hand waving going on.

I tend to be fairly picky about who I ride with (maybe too picky?). Got some feedback on how I can be safer, ride better, then I'm all ears. If they're trying to make everyone be carbon copies of themselves, to enforce some sort of "cult" ride rules I'm out. I know the way home (or at least my GPS does). Maybe that's why m/c clubs never appealed to me. Too much forced structure for such a "free" activity.

I'm a firm believer in riding your own ride. If someone is a faster rider than me, excellent...I know the next stop...I'll catch up there, and I'll buy the first round of cokes. If they're slower than me, that's cool too. It about enjoying the ride. I'm not sure why some folks want to make it so rigid and stressful.

+1 for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    I tend to be fairly picky about who I ride with (maybe too picky?). Got some feedback on how I can be safer, ride better, then I'm all ears. If they're trying to make everyone be carbon copies of themselves, to enforce some sort of "cult" ride rules I'm out. I know the way home (or at least my GPS does). Maybe that's why m/c clubs never appealed to me. Too much forced structure for such a "free" activity.

I'm a firm believer in riding your own ride. If someone is a faster rider than me, excellent...I know the next stop...I'll catch up there, and I'll buy the first round of cokes. If they're slower than me, that's cool too. It about enjoying the ride. I'm not sure why some folks want to make it so rigid and stressful.
    This is me also 100% and that's also why I ride mostly by myself...well said
    I encountered the same style of riding once and never went back, it's simple follow the rules of the road and be respectful of each others riding styles..