Considering a new helmet option in non modular...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a new helmet option in non modular...

Considering a new helmet option in non modular...

Been thinking since that accident I witnessed a few weeks back, going to start researching full face non-modular helmets like Shoei and Arai or others. Anyone have good recommendations to start with for those that fit a more husky skull? I like my Scorpion fine but still feel like a chipmunk without the ability to swap out cheek pieces on it. Just about got pitted yesterday on the way home by a suburban coming into my lane, thank goodness for that blaster of a horn Honda puts on these babies. Want something better fitting as my every day helmet for longer trips. I know, go try them on, thing is around here, there aren't many places to try them out. Recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I recommend finding a list of helmets by head shape. Most heads are narrowed down into 3-4 shapes if I remember correctly. I know I have a round Or oval head. I searched for that type, narrowed down to the AGV K3 SV and one Shoei offering. Made a trip to cycle gear to confirm that the AgV was a perfect fit. Best it of every lid in the store. The list helped me a ton. I think this is the one I used. https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/. Hope this helps. Looks like the list is going on 2 years old now, can probably still use as a reference or find a newer one. Some companies offer adjustable / replaceable pads, where others aren’t even removable.

Thanks Coondawg, found a CycleGear 25 miles away, may cruise over there later this week and try some stuff on.

I've been satisfied with my modular (flip-up) full face helmet for long, multi-day rides. Here is WA State, the State Patrol Motor Officers all use them. If that type of helmet wasn't "safe," you'd bet that they wouldn't be using it day-in, day-out; hundreds of miles per shift. All that said... find what fits you...DOT plus Snell Rating would be highest rating... and makes you comfortable for the long haul (fitment... no pressure points... good ventilation... low wind resistance for reduced wind noise. Good luck with the hunt!

I just got a HJC, ST70. I really like it, fairly quite, no buffeting, good venting, drop down dark shield. I need something light due to a neck issue. NEXX also makes a nice light helmet. You can't go by shipping weight, as many vendors do, that's boxed up & ready to ship. Plus one for webbikeworld.com, great information.

I have been using Arai helmets for the last 20 years and find they have the best fit. They make them for oval and round heads and use different shells based on the size. Look for the model that matches you head shape. Other company will use one shell for all sizes.

http://www.lidpicker.com/

Motorcyclegear.com is a great source of riding gear, runs good sales, and if you live outside the Great State of Texas, (unlike me), you don't have to pay sales tax on the purchases...

Helmet City is another place with a big selection and good prices. Located in two diff states so no tax if not in one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    I've been satisfied with my modular (flip-up) full face helmet for long, multi-day rides. Here is WA State, the State Patrol Motor Officers all use them. If that type of Neowasn't "safe," you'd bet that they wouldn't be using it day-in, day-out; hundreds of miles per shift. All that said... find what fits you...DOT plus Snell Rating would be highest rating... and makes you comfortable for the long haul (fitment... no pressure points... good ventilation... low wind resistance for reduced wind noise. Good luck with the hunt!
    Been using modular helmets for years, great convenience when you wear glasses. I don't have to take them off to put the helmet on. Using Shoei Neotec - changed out the cheek pads for best fit. BTW - You can't get a modular with the Snell rating - they won't do it. That's why Arai doesn't have any modular. But if you're not doing track speeds, you should be just fine with the DOT rating.

Helmets are like tires, windshields, and oil. There are going to be several recommendations. Go to a shop and try them on, sit there with it on your head for an hour when you find one you like, to make sure it really feels right. I personally use a HJC CL-17 and a Ruroc Atlas.
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”