Cruise control question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruise control question

Cruise control question

What do you do with your right hand when your cruise is on? I have throttle lock on my f6b and typically don't leave it on more than a couple of minutes. I usually just dangle my hand and wiggle my fingers for a minute or two, sometime rest my hand on my leg for a minute.

This weekend I hit my favorite overnight ride to the Talimena Run on the bmw 1200 RT, which has electronic cruise control. I left it on for a while, which I haven't really done much before, and found I had eventually put my hand back on the handle bar but with the cruise on. Of course it was very relaxed as I wasn't having to hold the throttle, but I felt conflicted as to whether I should just turn off the cruise if I am going to have my hand on the bar anyway? This made me wonder what others do while the cruise control is on?

For those of us with arthritis in our hands it is very helpful.
    Painful to hold the grip for any length of time.
    I have a throttle lock, which I set a little loose so I can move it while going up and down hills. Makes the throttle easy to hold still and move when needed.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Usually I still have my hand on the grip, but just let it sit there. The cruise makes it so nice to be able to move it around and not get cramped up.
    2015 matte silver F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Dweisman429 View Post
    Usually I still have my hand on the grip, but just let it sit there. The cruise makes it so nice to be able to move it around and not get cramped up.
    That's a big 10-4

STRaider - Like you, I'll relax, shake my hand out and such, but eventually toss it back on the grip lightly, so that I'm in the neutral riding position and can cover the brake, etc if I need to. My cruise is a Rostra universal electronic cruse that I installed a couple of years ago using info from this forum and the GL1800C forum to wire it correctly. Since the Wing uses a dual cable setup (i.e. one to open and one to close the throttle) I can feel the throttle tube rocking a little as cruise adjusts, but it's not bothersome.

On my R1200GSA, I put on the same model Rostra, but it's a single cable bike, and uses a separate cruise cam in the throttle cable "bowden box", so you don't feel the cruise doing it's thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    STRaider - Like you, I'll relax, shake my hand out and such, but eventually toss it back on the grip lightly, so that I'm in the neutral riding position and can cover the brake, etc if I need to. My cruise is a Rostra universal electronic cruse that I installed a couple of years ago using info from this forum and the GL1800C forum to wire it correctly. Since the Wing uses a dual cable setup (i.e. one to open and one to close the throttle) I can feel the throttle tube rocking a little as cruise adjusts, but it's not bothersome.

On my R1200GSA, I put on the same model Rostra, but it's a single cable bike, and uses a separate cruise cam in the throttle cable "bowden box", so you don't feel the cruise doing it's thing.
    Funny you mention that. I swear I could feel the throttle moving on the 1200RT when I would adjust the speed of the cruise control up or down. Sounds like the opposite of your gs.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Since the Wing uses a dual cable setup (i.e. one to open and one to close the throttle) I can feel the throttle tube rocking a little as cruise adjusts, but it's not bothersome.
    I'd like to take this a step further and say, I've noticed the throttle tube moving also, and, have accidentally dis-engaged the cruise by pushing to hard back/clockwise on the throttle. Not sure if it's damaging to the cruise control system so try to be sensitive to the slack in the cables.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Ditto for me ... let my right hand out in the wind, shake it a bit, then rest my partially open hand on top of the end of the bar. I don’t keep the cruise on for long periods, Max 5 mins here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    Funny you mention that. I swear I could feel the throttle moving on the 1200RT when I would adjust the speed of the cruise control up or down. Sounds like the opposite of your gs.
    Interesting. I'm actually using an R1200RT bowden box setup on my GS to accommodate the Rostra...maybe it just doesn't do it AS MUCH as my setup on the Wing. Or it could be that I'm just a knucklehead who can't tell the difference. hahah!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    I'd like to take this a step further and say, I've noticed the throttle tube moving also, and, have accidentally dis-engaged the cruise by pushing to hard back/clockwise on the throttle. Not sure if it's damaging to the cruise control system so try to be sensitive to the slack in the cables.
    Back when I had my Road Glide many moons ago, it had an anti-rollback switch in the return cable that would shut it off if you rolled back on the throttle like you're noting on your 2016. On that bike it was a common failure point. Most folks gave up and just unhooked that particular safety, as did I. Rostra does not have that capability that I know of (unless I fab up a custom switch assy and wire it into the brake or clutch circuit).