2018 GoldWings Popping Up and New Closeouts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 GoldWings Popping Up and New Closeouts

I am considering a 2018 GW but now hesitant as many are turning up in the market with very little miles and noticing closouts on new in the range of $6,000. Is it the front suspension, the electronics, the DCT or lack of room that buyers are weary about? Mine are the front suspension and the electronics. I am still up in the air about 6 speed manual or DCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post

I am considering a 2018 GW but now hesitant as many are turning up in the market with very little miles and noticing closouts on new in the range of $6,000. Is it the front suspension, the electronics, the DCT or lack of room that buyers are weary about? Mine are the front suspension and the electronics. I am still up in the air about 6 speed manual or DCT.
    They are becoming rare, but I know someone who just recently bought a new 2016 F6B, still in the crate. F6Bs came on the market soon after people bought them. Didn't stop many of us from buying and enjoying ours here. People have many different reasons. Life circumstances or what have you. Just recently, I read of a guy on one of the FB pages that was going back to a Harley, because he said he just couldn't get comfortable on the new Wing. People have done the same with the older models too. Many reasons and varied possibilities. I've not read, and I've been tracking the new Wings since they were announced, of any real issues to be concerned about. I bought my new 19 DCT knowing the luggage is smaller than the previous generation, but that is a trade off I'm ok with. For me, I am gaining a lot of storage. My F6B has one saddlebag dedicated to a sub and amplifier. And now I have a trunk too. There have been complaints about the GPS. It's too soon to say if I'll have complaints or not. Most of the complaints concerning the GPS have been related to being able to load pre determined routes for rides. I've only done that a few times with my Garmin before and most of the time my GPS is used just to get me from point a to b on the fly. Time will tell if I have issues. But I bought the bike knowing the GPS doesn't live up to everyone's expectations.

If you read the FB pages , you'll see there are a lot of Harley converts to the new Wing who are selling or trading in brand new Harleys or just a year or two old.

The new Wing has a lot of newer tech. I did buy a 5 year extended Honda Care warranty with my new bike.I am covered for 8 years with this bike. I got a good deal from my dealer. It was a no brainer for me.
    Last edited by Jimmytee; 07-28-2019 at 08:29 AM.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

There's lots of lo mileage HD's showing up @ steal prices too.
    "I think" a lot of retired folks are new to riding & have a fantasy about riding off into the sunset on a MC & living the dream they've seen in some of the movies. Then the hard facts hit them in the face, everything from bugs, cages, excessive heat or cold, flat tire, a down pour for mile after mile & the list goes on. After a few times of that, they decide to cut their losses, hang it up & find a nice comfy place in front of the TV. There's thousands of perfect, low mileage MC's everywhere, many at steal prices.....Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    There's lots of lo mileage HD's showing up @ steal prices too.
    "I think" a lot of retired folks are new to riding & have a fantasy about riding off into the sunset on a MC & living the dream they've seen in some of the movies. Then the hard facts hit them in the face, everything from bugs, cages, excessive heat or cold, flat tire, a down pour for mile after mile & the list goes on. After a few times of that, they decide to cut their losses, hang it up & find a nice comfy place in front of the TV. There's thousands of perfect, low mileage MC's everywhere, many at steal prices.....Just my opinion.
    I totally agree with you my friend..When I was in my 50's and 60's I rode the "dream" so to speak for a while..Then family issues, health issues, weather issues, and finally at close to 80, I just don't care much about riding anymore..Between careless drivers with their damn cell phones, traffic, etc.. I find I am spending more time in front of the TV and doing things around the house..Just bought a 2019 Ford Edge and would almost rather take a ride in it than my F6B....Still like to ride, but at this stage I have pretty much decided to forget getting a smaller bike and just hanging on to the one I have until I sell it or ???...BTW, I saw an article on the Internet a couple days ago that HD sales are in the tank and their stock is not doing well....Regards

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I totally agree with you my friend..When I was in my 50's and 60's I rode the "dream" so to speak for a while..Then family issues, health issues, weather issues, and finally at close to 80, I just don't care much about riding anymore..Between careless drivers with their damn cell phones, traffic, etc.. I find I am spending more time in front of the TV and doing things around the house..Just bought a 2019 Ford Edge and would almost rather take a ride in it than my F6B....Still like to ride, but at this stage I have pretty much decided to forget getting a smaller bike and just hanging on to the one I have until I sell it or ???...BTW, I saw an article on the Internet a couple days ago that HD sales are in the tank and their stock is not doing well....Regards
    I tend to agree with ya Opas Ride. I don't yearn for the open road as I once did. My main problem is dealing with the Summer heat. My bike pretty much goes into storage twice a year; once for the Winter months of December through March and the second time from about mid June until sometime in September. I enjoy a drive in my VW GTI( it has AC ya know) as much or more than a motorcycle ride. Like you, I think I'll just hang on to the "B" until I'm done riding and that will be all she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride;
    BTW, I saw an article on the Internet a couple days ago that HD sales are in the tank and their stock is not doing well....Regards

Not saying it isnt true, but It is like a broken record. I think I've seen those kind of headline for atleast 10 years.

Hope they figure something out.
    Last edited by 53driver; 07-29-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: fix quote

Found a 6 speed blue Tour with 2k for $17,899 and a DCT gray GW with 2k for $17,299. Red DCT with 400 miles for $18,999. Also a red DCT airbag with 258 miles for $23,999. All are asking prices.

Harley Sales Dropping

I posted these numbers several months back. No wonder Harley sales are dropping. In fact, it looks like bad news ahead for the entire MC industry.

The median age of motorcycle riders in the USA:

1990: 32
    2009: 40
    2017: 47

Median age of Sturgis attendees in 2012: 58!

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I posted these numbers several months back. No wonder Harley sales are dropping. In fact, it looks like bad news ahead for the entire MC industry.

The median age of motorcycle riders in the USA:

1990: 32
    2009: 40
    2017: 47

Median age of Sturgis attendees in 2012: 58!
    Same deal in snowmobiling, guys...though the median age has always been a bit higher for sleds as they are probably even more of a luxury item than bikes.

My wife and I just bought a 2019 Kia Sorento. Man, that is one pleasant vehicle to drive, as are most others these days. Comfortable, safe, reliable.

The open road and knees in the breeze has some serious competition nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Same deal in snowmobiling, guys...though the median age has always been a bit higher for sleds as they are probably even more of a luxury item than bikes.

My wife and I just bought a 2019 Kia Sorento. Man, that is one pleasant vehicle to drive, as are most others these days. Comfortable, safe, reliable.

The open road and knees in the breeze has some serious competition nowadays.
    That's a good point. Cars and trucks have become very good, and motorcycles no longer have the performance edge they once did. I once owned a 1993 Taurus SHO. It had 220 HP, which was considered a lot of power back then. Today, 300 HP, 400 HP, or more is common in run of the mill cars and trucks, and they're more reliable than ever. These days, nearly everyone can afford something that's a pleasure to drive. The downside is the roads. Around here they have become terribly congested and are crumbling in places.