Tire wear question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire wear question

Tire wear question

I am coming up on 12,000 miles on the rear tire, it looks like plenty of groove left but the tire is worn a little flat in the center and when I lean the bike on that ridge the back end does a little dance plus I get a slight howling sound. The manual says change the tire at .080 tread depth I think, I don’t think I’m quite there yet but is it time to replace it or good few a few more miles?

Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Tire pressure, tire pressure, tire pressure.
    +1,+1,+1...A lot of highway driving at higher speeds can wear the rear tire pretty fast if the pavement is hot and your tire pressure is not at least at 41psi...Regards

Center flat time to change. I've removed plenty of them with tread left and right but the center was getting flat. That's why the dark side is popular. LOL

Thanks for the replies, I use Garmin tpms sensors, so the the pressures are always good. I run mostly interstate and of course the average speed is 80 mph. I’ll be sending the wheel to the shop this week end.

What Brand?

Is that the OEM Bridgestone or another brand? 12K is pretty good for the OEM tire. I've always changed my rear tires at just under 10K. I have an Avon mounted on my spare rim and will be installing it soon. Hopefully it will give me a few more miles.

That is the original Bridgestone

The only thing between you and the pavement is your tires. Never cut corners on tires and brakes. 12000 miles is good on that tire. Put a new one on asap. You need to watch your air pressure. Get a good dial or digital gauge.

12K out of a rear tire sounds like you are doing everything right. I usually take them down to the wear markers but if you are getting a bad feel or noise go ahead and change it, you got the goody out of it. Tires are too cheap to try and get an uncomfortable or unsafe extra few hundred miles out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    12K out of a rear tire sounds like you are doing everything right. I usually take them down to the wear markers but if you are getting a bad feel or noise go ahead and change it, you got the goody out of it. Tires are too cheap to try and get an uncomfortable or unsafe extra few hundred miles out of them.
    +1
    You've got TPMS already, so ensure that you are no kidding at 39/41 EVERY TIME for highway cruising.
    12k is a great run for most. I get 15-18k out of either the 'Stones or Elite4s.
    Yes, if the tire starts talking to you, it's time to listen. ("I get a slight howling sound")
    Yes, if the tire starts communicating with you through the bike, it's time to listen. ("when I lean the bike on that ridge the back end does a little dance")
    A flat tire on the side of the road - assuming you control it and manage to stop safely with out becoming the cream in a Peterbilt sandwich - will still cost you the price of a tire for a tow.
    These are our babies - baby that girl!
    Get her some new dancing shoes!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by 53driver; 08-16-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: punctuation