Tire wear question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire wear question

The howling I understand. Mine starts that noticeably at ~4k miles into a rear Bridgestone, when you initiate a lean into a turn. It has to do with the shape of the tread...the treadblocks feather a bit, leading to the moan/howl. If you lightly rub your hand along the tire tread, you can feel it.

You guys are my heroes on mileage for sure. I get 8K pretty religiously on a rear Stone (assuming I don't find a nail first). 11k or so on a front. That said, I do replace mine well before it gets to the wear bars. Maybe I need to work on smoothness more.

2-3 psi over what sticker says

TPMS on Sale

I got an email from Honda Directline. They're having a closeout sale on the Tiregard TPMS system for $80. I'm running that system and it works quite well.

The new tire is on and I'll be off to work soon, it'll be nice to have the B back to its full potential. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Y'all be mindful of "overfilling" the tires....
    My TPMS alarm is set to go off when the pressure hits 51 psi.
    When I went across the country, there was one morning where the pressure read 43. A bit of altitude and we where headed down so I wasn't concerned.
    The outside air temp rose more than a bit though, and the alarm was going off.
    This was on a Dunlop E4.
    I called Dunlop Engineering and started a case on when I should be concerned. Was 51 reasonable? Or should I set the alarm threshold higher?
    They came back within 12 hours and stated "Do NOT change that alarm. Heed that alarm. Check to make sure that everything you have is accurate, and if so, ensure that your starting pressure is no more than 41."
    So for those of you running higher psi, please ensure you are not exceeding 51 psi. Been to enough funerals lately.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

51psi? wow that was high. What's the max tire pressure on the sidewall? I'd never exceed that.
    I've been running my AVONs at 42f & 44r (per AVON) which is a bit higher than Honda says.
    I'm sure different brands have a little different max psi.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnyguy View Post
    I am coming up on 12,000 miles on the rear tire, it looks like plenty of groove left but the tire is worn a little flat in the center and when I lean the bike on that ridge the back end does a little dance plus I get a slight howling sound. The manual says change the tire at .080 tread depth I think, I don’t think I’m quite there yet but is it time to replace it or good few a few more miles?
    Your doing pretty good at 12,000 miles. I'd be half way into the next tire.
    Last edited by 53driver; 08-19-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: fix quote

Quote Originally Posted by Zteve View Post
    You're doing pretty good at 12,000 miles. I'd be half way into the next tire.
    Me too.
    Last edited by 53driver; 08-19-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: fix quote

Since I installed TPMS on my F6B I've been surprised at how much the pressure increases at high speeds on hot days. I run my rear at about 44 PSI, but that often increases to over 50 while riding. At very high altitudes the pressure gets even higher due to the drop in atmospheric pressure.

The same goes for the temperature. The front tire stays just a few degrees above the ambient temperature, but the rear often exceeds 130 degrees.

Here's my 2 cents:

I am convinced that hard acceleration and hard braking have the most effect on tire life.

I run 36/39 psi. I replaced my tires at 17,400 because they were 6 years old and Bridgestone had a sale. They were not to the wear bars yet.

I tried 40 up front for a couple of miles. It was like riding on a rock! I would not give up comfort for thousands and thousands of miles just to get another 10% or more out of a tire. If that is even true. Clearly the lower tire pressure did not wear my tires out faster.
    Albuquerque, NM