Bike Shut off while riding. Oil light
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike Shut off while riding. Oil light

Bike Shut off while riding. Oil light

Riding 40mph and the bike lost power, oil light came on. Got to the side of the road, bike would not start. I checked the oil level and it was reading full. After a few minutes the bike started and I rode home. I just put in a new battery 100 miles ago. Does anyone have any idea what went wrong or is wrong? A sensor?
    I just bought my 2013 F6B a few weeks ago, used, with only 7500 miles on it and I didn’t expect any issues.
    Thanks

That's the first I've heard of that issue. I also have a 2013 with low mileage so I'm going to be watching this thread carefully.
    The stoichiometric mixture for a gasoline engine is the ideal ratio of air to fuel that burns all fuel with no excess air. For gasoline fuel, the
    stoichiometric air–fuel mixture is about 14.7:1 i.e. for every one gram of fuel, 14.7 grams of air are required. - Wiki

Might have to get the dealer to put their laptop on it. Before that are you getting a flashing amber light when you first turn on the key? Count the first one as 10 & the rest as +1 on each flash. That'll give you a code to look for. No amber flashes, try the dealer...……………..Unless someone knows what's going on...……….ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE ??? ANYBODY

Guttooth71 - A few questions to help us understand better:

By saying that the bike lost power and the oil light came on...do you mean that the engine shut down completely and you coasted to the side of the road? If so, with the ignition on and the engine stopped, the oil light being on would be expected...the oil pressure sensor would see no oil pressure because the engine has stopped. Then it just becomes a matter of determining what shut her down (sidestand switch, kill switch, ignition switch, etc). Could be quite simple.

IF instead you mean that the engine was "down on power" but still running as you stopped with the oil light on, then I think we're looking at something quite different. There, I'd begin to suspect a bad oil pressure sensor, sensor wiring or oil pump (although I've never heard of a GL1800 failing an oil pump).

When you say it would not start once you got to the side of the road...when you engaged the starter, did anything happen? Did the starter engage but was unable to turn the motor? Did the motor spin-spin-spin with no start?

Just trying to clarify the scenario details a bit so we can understand and (hopefully) help more.

Cheers!

The bike shut off, then oil light came on. I coasted to side of the road. When I tried to start it the oil light came on. Oil is new and clean.
    I think I know why wouldn’t start, I noticed the stand was down and I was in first gear. But I have no clue why it died. I rode it home and to work today with no issues so far.

Your probably not having an "oil" problem. The ignition system sends electrical current to the spark plugs to fire and keep the engine burning fuel. If the ignition system stops sending electrical current the engine stops running, oil pressure drops, causing the "oil" light to come on. Another way to look at it is, if you use the kill switch on the handle bars you get the same issue. Engine stops running and the oil light comes on...NORMAL.

Often a problem comes from the last thing someone messed with. Since you changed your battery, I would suggest making sure the battery connections are good and tight. I'm new to the Goldwing but motorcycles can have funny intermittent problems with even slightly loose battery connections. Make sure to put a wrench on the connection bolt. Don't try to break them just good and snug.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

My thoughts exactly. The GW is a sound machine. I own a 2013 with 46K on it and have never had this problem at all. It sounds like the Kickstand got you must not have been all the way disengaged. Safety issue with the wing. As long as the oil is where is supposed to be she should be fine. No leaks. As the other member I will keep an eye on this post.

Agree with SeaSteve. Based on that description, I would not be concerned about oil pressure. The system is behaving as designed. It sounds like you also now know why she would not start (sidestand).

The only thing left is why it stopped originally. Agree on checking battery, but I would not expect it to "heal itself" and restart. Given that you are still getting used to your new-to-you bike, is it possible that you accidentally booted the kickstand while riding at 40mph?

Again, defiantly check the battery connections since you changed it JUST 100 miles ago.

My left heal rests on the "folded" kick stand so I've tested how far it's got to travel before the "switch" kills the engine, and it's around half way down. Could be different for your Wing though.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Apologies, SeaSteve...not trying to suggest that Guttooth not to check the battery. It's still a good thing to do...was just questioning other possible items/safeties that can kill the engine.

The really, really good news is that I don't think Guttooth is looking at an oil-related failure or oil starvation (which could be super expensive).