Honda Disappointment
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda Disappointment

Honda Disappointment

Can't tell you folks how disappointed I am in the quality of Honda. I bought the F6B counting on the reputation of unsurpassed reliability. However, I am finding out that the reputation is fake. I have had the bike for 18 months and put on 13k miles. This past winter I had a final drive leak that had to be repaired under warranty. Today I took the bike in to my local dealer because of a clunking sound coming from under the front plastics and an unstable feeling from the bars. They tell me that my steering head bearings have gone bad and they are not covered under my factory warranty. I just can't comprehend how that happens in 13k miles. I've owned lots of different bikes and never had bearings go bad in such a short time. Now, I feel like I should have kept my Victory.

Well, I, for one, am sorry you've had this happen.
    It seems contrary to pretty much everyone else's experience.
    I monitor this forum and several F6B forums.
    And I definitely wouldn't say that the Honda reputation is "fake" - they make high quality stuff.

Going forward:
    I would definitely use All Balls tapered bearings to replace the current ones - so much smoother.
    They are "wearable" items, like tires, so not covered under warranty - I understand that. Now, failing at 13k? That's odd.

Again, sorry that happened, I guess the statistics are not on your side right now.
    Best of luck,
    Steve

Having to deal with repairs when you want to be riding is a major drag, for sure. But calling Honda's reputation for reliability "fake" based on your 2 experiences is almost pitiable. Check the 100,000 mile clubs for other motorcycles to get a broader sample. However, I get that it does suck to be down when you should be riding. If it were me, I would be checking a couple things with the front end, because the steering bearings going bad at 13,000 is definitely odd. Did you buy the bike brand new? Any history of flooding in the area you got it? I'd be looking for other damage just to be safe. Also, how good is your mechanic and what is their reputation, both in terms of honesty and in familiarity with Wings? I'm not saying anything negative about them, just asking the questions I would be asking myself in your position. Hope you find some good answers and get to riding soon.

Jason

You didn't tell us if you brought it new or not. You put 13k on it, is that all the miles it has or did you buy it used? Just wondering.

My F6B has been trouble free for 43,000 miles.

My F6B has been trouble free for 58k miles. I will say I replaced my steering head bearings with the All Balls bearings awhile ago, but it wasn't because the stock one's failed . I was just upgrading to tapered bearings when I upgraded my suspension.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Brand new out of the crate.

I traveled 40 miles to go to this particular dealer due to the recommendations of all the Goldwing riders I've spoken to. There are plenty of Honda dealers here in Central Ohio but the dealer I went to is supposed to be top notch

I'm sorry to hear that, Fuzz. Other than stuff I've added to my 2014 to farkle it out (electronic cruise control, Ergo III's, ------- windshield, linear actuators to make said ------- electrically adjustable) the only thing I've had to do is ride mine and change the oil/tires. I DID have to visit the dealer just before my 5 year anniversary of buying it...to pick up a container of coolant to top it off.

In fairness, I did help a buddy swap out the rear diff on his F6b due to a leak, so it's not unheard of...just rare. Good thing they're available from trike shops for about $100 brand new. Give the old gal some time...hopefully you'll see that she's more reliable than you've seen so far.

No issues whatsoever on my 2014.