For those with multiple bikes...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: For those with multiple bikes...

For those with multiple bikes...

Why do you have multiple bikes, how do you choose which to ride, do you ever want to cull down to just one?

First world problem to be certain, but I find myself with three bikes now. I had the F6B and a Harley Ultra Limited, then found a nice, well priced 2013 BMW R1200 RT last year. In June, I traded the Harley towards a very well accessorized 2018 Goldwing.

Now, again, I have the three bikes and enjoy them all, but wonder when I have time to ride them all. Storage is another issue.

Another problem is similarity of the bikes. I liked the RT because it was quite different than the Harley, but the features are similar to the Goldwing now, and I would choose to ride the Goldwing 99% of the time over the RT.

I've had the RT listed casually on one site, but not getting many bites. I love the bike, but love the other two more, but if forced to sell it too cheap, I'd just rather keep it because it is a clean, well appointed bike with some nice extras on it.

I have some warehouse/offices in other cities, and am considering storing at least one bike (likely the F6B, as no BMW dealer for four hours) in Amarillo, which would give me easy access to New Mexico and Colorado (the worst part of the trip to either is from DFW to Amarillo).

In a way, I would love to get down to just one bike, but I love that F6B and the Goldwing. Again, the BMW probably has more value in keeping and owning it than selling, so I am stuck as to what to do.

How do you with multiple bikes juggle them, split time between them, etc?
    Last edited by STRaider; 09-03-2019 at 07:27 AM.

My two are the F6B and an FJR1300. Riding locally, I'll switch them out with no rhyme or reason. On out of state rides, if I'm doing rides out of a location, returning at the end of the day, I'll take the B. If not, if I'm in a new place every night, it's the FJR. The only reason for that is simply storage; my FJR has more, with the top case and Smuggler, compared to the B without a rack or backrest.

Seems to me it is kind of like buying three shoes when one only has two feet!!!...But to each his own as they say...JMHO ,, Regards and ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Seems to me it is kind of like buying three shoes when one only has two feet!!!...But to each his own as they say...JMHO ,, Regards and ride safe
    That's why you always buy in pairs Opa......

In a way, I would love to get down to just one bike, but I love that F6B and the Goldwing. Again, the BMW probably has more value in keeping and owning it than selling, so I am stuck as to what to do.

How do you with multiple bikes juggle them, split time between them, etc?
    STRaider, as long as the hobby is maintained with disposable income and doesn't interfere with your family or work relationships, what's the harm in collecting whatever makes you happy? If you belong to multiple groups you can ride whatever the occasion calls for.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

I went from F6B and ninja 300 to f6b and fjr1300 to f6b and f6c to f6b and ninja 1000 to ninja 1000 and R1200RT to only r1200rt! Hooray! Down to one bike!
    But now I'm thinking about adding an adventure bike to the r1200rt.

I think it is a disease.......

I've had multiple cycles throughout the years.
    I have had different cycles 2 or 3 at times I always had a touring bike, on-off reader, or sport bike.
    When it was time to choose which bike to ride;
    When I was working I would take the dirty one to work and save the clean one for the weekend or Two Wheel Tuesday.
    Now I have 2 bikes the F6B and a 1800 Valkyrie. Both great bikes but they are different. Long rides it's the B.
    Shorter ride (250 miles or less) it is usually the Valk.
    It's hard to choose at times so then I take the clean one.

STRaider- When I first bought the F6b a little over 5 years ago, I still had a 2007 Harley Road Glide. I kept it for a couple of months, but realized that the F6b was my choice EVERY ride, and sold it. The 2014 F6b was my sole bike for a while, but later picked up a lightly used 2008 BMW R1200GSA for variety. Day in day out, I typically ride what I didn't ride last time (again...variety). Occasionally, I'll put the spare wheels and knobbies on the GSA and go hit the mountain fire roads.

Last week, I had to travel to NE Alabama for work, and took the BMW, for the same reason jmdaniel notes...more storage even with just the panniers. On the ride home on Friday, I was wishing I had taken the F6b. If I had taken the 6, I'm sure I'd have wanted the GSA.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post

Opas, sometimes you have to have multiple pairs of shoes.. Formal, Sport-Tennis, boots, daily wear, flip flops .... Variety.
    At one time I had 6 two wheeled mistresses in my stable and two 4 wheeled, each one satisfied my needs in different ways.
    Variety is the spice of life, nothing wrong with having a couple of bikes in the garage.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I ride the Duc to work and whenever I want to go for a good rip. The rest of the time is the B. Insurance is the big issue up here in the Great White North! You want toys, you better be prepared to pony up...
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Opas, sometimes you have to have multiple pairs of shoes.. Formal, Sport-Tennis, boots, daily wear, flip flops .... Variety.
    At one time I had 6 two wheeled mistresses in my stable and two 4 wheeled, each one satisfied my needs in different ways.
    Variety is the spice of life, nothing wrong with having a couple of bikes in the garage.
    I have enough trouble these days just staying upright on one bike!!!...Besides my garage is so full of "stuff" collected over the past 45 years raising 5 kids, that I have no room..I want to get rid of the crap, but my wife calls it life's treasures and memories....Regards and ride safe