full Wing vs F6B ... 8 new reflections
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: full Wing vs F6B ... 8 new reflections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

full Wing vs F6B ... 8 new reflections

Hey guys - as you may know, I replaced my 2013 F6B with 27k on it with a ‘16 full Wing Level 3.

Here’s what I’ve noticed in two months of ownership:

1. The F6B feels faster and handles better.
    I’m not sure if it’s just the huge seat cushion that wraps my arse and lower back, and possibly keeps me planted better vs flatter, wider seat on F6B, but the big Wing feels slower.

I’ve also noticed my level of comfort on a sharp turn with a steep tip-in is less with the big Wing ... making the F6 feel more maneuverable and nimble.

2. No one f***s with me on the big Wing.
    Seems as though every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to mess with me on the black F6...either a stoplight race or driving aggressively behind me in turns, playing keep up. That doesn’t happen with the full Wing ... people see it and treat it like it’s the Family Truckster.

3. Rear suspension far better on full Wing.
    This actually has caused me to realize how mediocre the front suspension is and considering some sort of upgrade. I keep the preload at 15 (electronic adjustment range is 0-25).

4. RPMs are slightly lower on Full Wing ... 2600 vs 2800 at 60 mph.

5. Full Wing is quieter ... I can hear the intake far more often than the exhaust.

6. Fuel mileage is the same ... pretty solid 42-43 mpg from both bikes over 30k+ miles total

7. Love the trunk ... not sure how I got by without one for many years back to my VStar days.

8. The ‘16 shifter is noticeably better than the ‘13 with the upgrade ... smoother, more precise, no ghost shifting.

————

Both are great bikes, both serve a surprisingly distinctive purpose despite being almost the same bike. Full Wing is more practical and comfortable; F6 more cool and fun.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Hey guys - as you may know, I replaced my 2013 F6B with 27k on it with a ‘16 full Wing Level 3.

Here’s what I’ve noticed in two months of ownership:

1. The F6B feels faster and handles better.
    I’m not sure if it’s just the huge seat cushion that wraps my arse and lower back, and possibly keeps me planted better vs flatter, wider seat on F6B, but the big Wing feels slower.

I’ve also noticed my level of comfort on a sharp turn with a steep tip-in is less with the big Wing ... making the F6 feel more maneuverable and nimble.

2. No one f***s with me on the big Wing.
    Seems as though every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to mess with me on the black F6...either a stoplight race or driving aggressively behind me in turns, playing keep up. That doesn’t happen with the full Wing ... people see it and treat it like it’s the Family Truckster.

3. Rear suspension far better on full Wing.
    This actually has caused me to realize how mediocre the front suspension is and considering some sort of upgrade. I keep the preload at 15 (electronic adjustment range is 0-25).

4. RPMs are slightly lower on Full Wing ... 2600 vs 2800 at 60 mph.

5. Full Wing is quieter ... I can hear the intake far more often than the exhaust.

6. Fuel mileage is the same ... pretty solid 42-43 mpg from both bikes over 30k+ miles total

7. Love the trunk ... not sure how I got by without one for many years back to my VStar days.

8. The ‘16 shifter is noticeably better than the ‘13 with the upgrade ... smoother, more precise, no ghost shifting.

————

Both are great bikes, both serve a surprisingly distinctive purpose despite being almost the same bike. Full Wing is more practical and comfortable; F6 more cool and fun.
    I just up-graded the front suspension with the Traxxion fork springs kit and AllBalls bearings, new seals, fork oil, etc. and it makes a huge difference over the stock F6B front suspension in my opinion..Well worth the money in my judgement...Regards...

I'm really curious about number 3. Any ideas as to what makes the rear suspension better? Is it a different shock/spring than the B? If not, perhaps the added weight of the trunk loads the spring more effectively? VstarRider or anyone else have insights?

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 09-06-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Jason, I have no idea but there is a significant difference. I am sure part of that difference is attributable to the seat, which is really plush. You do sit about two inches further forward on the full Wing as well. Perhaps shock or shock calving is different? Maybe someone else will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Jason, I have no idea but there is a significant difference. I am sure part of that difference is attributable to the seat, which is really plush. You do sit about two inches further forward on the full Wing as well. Perhaps shock or shock calving is different? Maybe someone else will chime in.
    That makes sense, Vstar. I bet the seating position contributes to it. I've noticed on the B that if you slide forward toward the middle of the seat, your spine isn't quite as much in the line of fire of the shock rebounding as it is further back.

Jason

Ref #2, I occasionally ride my black 2013 F6B with a Harley Razor Pack added. I see a difference in how other drivers react to the bike, depending on whether or not the pack is on. Without it, I do not get the cagers trying to keep up, or challenge for position in traffic.... it's like they accept it as a "sport bike" or "bad ass" bike and accept that you're "passing by". With the pack on, it's like they assume you're a "touring barge" ridden by an old guy who's in their way. Everybody is out to prove their sport sedan or hopped - up whatever is faster than the bike.... I am always having to prove them wrong Interesting that we would have such a different take on it.
    Last edited by DarkKnt; 09-06-2019 at 11:13 AM.

I agree. I see it as a little fun or excitement on the ride. Most cages can forget about out running the B. I know. Some will. Most won't.

"4. RPMs are slightly lower on Full Wing ... 2600 vs 2800 at 60 mph."

If you are using the same rear tire size, the rpms should not be any different. Same motor, same drive train.

P.S. Thanks for the write-up!
    Last edited by 98valk; 09-06-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post

If you are using the same rear tire size, the rpms should not be any different. Same motor, same drive train.

That was my thought. 200 rpms, maybe a difference in the accuracy between the 2 tachs or like you said, the tires are different.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post

Same motor, same drivetrain, more weight. If anything, you'd think they'd be ever so slightly higher. Interesting.

Jason