full Wing vs F6B ... 8 new reflections - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: full Wing vs F6B ... 8 new reflections

Everything effects everything....

With more weight (trunk) in the rear with the same spring rate, the higher weight will handle the bumps better as will the softer seat on the GL1800. You'll perceive it as a suspension upgrade on the full wing. If you run light on the F6b, set your spring rate lighter and you can almost match the "feel" of the suspension to the Gl1800. You'll of course get a little more bounce to the back end on the f6b because you are in fact much lighter back there than the GL1800. It's a feel thing I think more than anything. Personally the stock suspension on my F6b is the best I've ever ridden on coming from riding Harleys.

I agree fully that the F6b puts out more attitude in the looks department being a bagger. It looks fast, sleek, long and low. It begs more attention from other riders and most cyclists know full well that the GL1800 motors can flat out stomp when they need to. Add that knowledge to the visual appeal of the low slung bagger and it's given a little more street cred and respect.
    The stoichiometric mixture for a gasoline engine is the ideal ratio of air to fuel that burns all fuel with no excess air. For gasoline fuel, the
    stoichiometric air–fuel mixture is about 14.7:1 i.e. for every one gram of fuel, 14.7 grams of air are required. - Wiki

I ride both a 13 F6B and a 14 full wing. I agree the f6b feels faster, but I think for myself I am faster threw a twistee road on the full wing. I also have aftermarket suspension on the front of the wing, so that may be part of it. I think you are spot on with you last line. Both are great bikes........ Enjoy the full wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    Same motor, same drivetrain, more weight. If anything, you'd think they'd be ever so slightly higher. Interesting.

Jason
    Verismo - I'm confused. How would weight make RPMs higher or lower? Unless it's so heavy the clutch is slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Verismo - I'm confused. How would weight make RPMs higher or lower? Unless it's so heavy the clutch is slipping.
    Hey rdbonds, for the same reason it requires more throttle going up a hill, because the load has increased. So with the full wing and the B having the same engine and drivetrain, the B should theoretically have to work just a little less to move its lighter weight, all other things being equal, which they are undoubtedly not. Aerodynamics plays a big role here, too. The difference in having a trunk shouldn't be one of only weight, but drag, too.

Hey Vstar, do you remember if you had a headwind or if the road was flat when you noticed this difference?

Does anyone else have a full(01-17) wing here that can describe their rpms at highway speeds on a relatively flat stretch? Would be interesting to hear.

Jason

Load, weight, resistance... None of that should effect RPM at a given speed. It doesn’t work like that. Those factors could cause the bike to travel at a lower speed at wide open throttle. Gear ratios and engine speed are not effected by those factors. They could be changed by tire sizes, electronic adjustment, a gearing change at some point in the driveline, or as someone mentioned, the clutch slipping.

Thanks for the clarification, Coondawg. So given the factors you listed that would affect RPM's, any guesses about Vstar's? Both the wing and B call for the same tire sizes, right? Seems weird.

Jason

You're wrong dawg. It will affect rpm slightly. Get in a 30 mile per hour headwind and check rpm at 60 mph. Turn around and go back the other way on the same road with the same wind. There will be a difference. The wind is in effect a "load". More weight on the bike like riding two up on a hill will make a difference also.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-07-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You're wrong dawg. It will affect rpm slightly. Get in a 30 mile per hour headwind and check rpm at 60 mph. Turn around and go back the other way on the same road with the same wind. There will be a difference. The wind is in effect a "load". More weight on the bike like riding two up on a hill will make a difference also.
    It doesn't matter if you're down hill with 50 kts on the tail, or up a hill pulling a boat - if you're in the same gear, at the same speed, the RPM will be the same. Unless physics and mechanical engineering work differently in the USA....

Relationship between RPM and speed does not change with load, weight or headwind. They are mechanically linked.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    It doesn't matter if you're down hill with 50 kts on the tail, or up a hill pulling a boat - if you're in the same gear, at the same speed, the RPM will be the same. Unless physics and mechanical engineering work differently in the USA....
    Agreed. However, fuel consumption will vary greatly, in those different circumstances, to keep the RPM's the same.