Crankshaft positiion sensor failure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankshaft positiion sensor failure

Crankshaft positiion sensor failure

With 59,000 miles on my F6, the crankshaft sensor decided it was done. Rode 350 miles that day, several stops for gas, food, etc, rode home, put her in the garage for the night. Next morning, got dressed to go riding, but all the 6 would do was turn over, but no fire. Trailered to the dealership, and the test says Crank position sensor failure. I can't complain. this bike has been as close to perfect, and run so well. So, only 1 issue in 59K, pretty darn impressive!

👍 that's great.

Honda Reliability at its best! Nothing compares

Crank position failure is not an unknown issue in F6Bs and Goldwings. Mine failed about 18 months ago, but the good news is that once replaced it usually doesn't seem to happen again.

Good luck
    Az Wingrider

I think my is going bad also (44,000 miles) at times when I give it some gas it will hesitate a little.
    It's still under warranty so I'm good.

Mine went wonky with less than 2000 miles and under warranty, crank with no start. Trailered to the dealer and the damn thing started right up! They kept it 3 weeks trying to get it to act up but nothing. That wore on my mind every time I rode the bike. I ended up riding it over 12000 miles without issue but now it's traded in for the new trike.
    Last edited by Wing'n it; 09-25-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I kept getting the code light. Checked on this forum & found out what it meant. My dealership has a wrench that can get his hand in through the front, back to the connector on the motor, or wherever it is. Whole deal, parts & labor, was $219.xx. I was happy.

You are the luckiest guy around! You found the problem in your garage, not 2500 miles away from home, in the middle of nowhere, alone and in the rain.

Should I Worry?

I just posted this on the garage board. After reading about these failures I got nervous. There aren't that many F6Bs on the road and reading about more than one is a concern.

So, while riding through Colorado Springs today I stopped by Apex Sports. Their service department is one of the best in the rocky mountain region. In fact, they performed the brake recall service on over 1,400 Goldwings (including my 2013), more than any Honda dealer in the country. I mentioned the two failures on this board to their service manager, and asked him how many he'd seen in his shop. His answer? Not one! He's familiar with it, and had some comments about the causes, but said it really isn't very common.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I just posted this on the garage board. After reading about these failures I got nervous. There aren't that many F6Bs on the road and reading about more than one is a concern.

So, while riding through Colorado Springs today I stopped by Apex Sports. Their service department is one of the best in the rocky mountain region. In fact, they performed the brake recall service on over 1,400 Goldwings (including my 2013), more than any Honda dealer in the country. I mentioned the two failures on this board to their service manager, and asked him how many he'd seen in his shop. His answer? Not one! He's familiar with it, and had some comments about the causes, but said it really isn't very common.
    It's not just the F6B's with the issue the standard Wings and the Valkrye has it to. My 2002 Wing it failed and had to be replaced but since I'm a wrench I just did it myself and used the old wiring from the bad sensor and made an extension harness to move the connector to the cowl area to replace it easy next time. I no longer own it but in the future somebody will thank me for that! My 2015 F6B the sensor went into a crank but no start and the bike had the code but the dealer could never get it to happen so Honda would not replace it. It never happened again but when the air filter needed replacing I would have went on in after that sensor and just swapped it out. Have since traded the F6B off for the new trike.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike