Why Riders Don’t Wave Back - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Riders Don’t Wave Back

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    As I got older and wiser, hopefully, I thought why I am waving to other bikers that for the most part I will never see again or care about.....I don't wave to other car drivers on the road and most of us do not....HD riders, for the most part, are so "stuck on themselves" that waving to anything other than another HD is against their code of," my bike is a Harley so I am better than you"....In any event, I no longer take my hands of the bars just to wave to some fool who most likely does not give a "hoot" about me or my bike.....I am not bitter and a very friendly guy that loves to ride, just see no sense anymore in waving to other bikers....Regards
    Amen....agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    As I got older and wiser, hopefully, I thought why I am waving to other bikers that for the most part I will never see again or care about.....I don't wave to other car drivers on the road and most of us do not....HD riders, for the most part, are so "stuck on themselves" that waving to anything other than another HD is against their code of," my bike is a Harley so I am better than you"....In any event, I no longer take my hands of the bars just to wave to some fool who most likely does not give a "hoot" about me or my bike.....I am not bitter and a very friendly guy that loves to ride, just see no sense anymore in waving to other bikers....Regards
    Wow, I don't wave because that would mean I need to put down my pipe/cigar or my coffee cup to do it....

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    Wow, I don't wave because that would mean I need to put down my pipe/cigar or my coffee cup to do it....

THERE WE GO!!! THANK YOUR!!! Someone finally made a joke in the spirit of my original post. See, on Goldwing, we are enjoying the comfort and luxury of sitting in our Lazy-Boys we could be smoking a pipe/cigar or drinking a cup of coffee...Get it?...A joke!

THANK GOD I didn't post a joke about oil or tires!
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 09-26-2019 at 09:50 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Awesome..!! Freaking hilarious

I'd like to know what you all think as to why it started in the first place.
    I started riding in the late 60's. I don't remember it being a thing then.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I think the wave thing started with the HD riders. To show brotherhood and a kindred spirit. That's why "other" riders aren't really included. Don't matter to me. I don't wave. Like was said above , do you wave in your car? Of course not. I'm not unfriendly. Just prefer to keep both hands on the bars. If I'm riding local and see a rider I know then I most certainly wave. Maybe even blow the horn.

In Texas we wave! Our state moto is "Friendship," and Texas highways cover more miles than any other state. What else you got to do than wave on long flat Texas roads. Hell, sometimes I wave at cars when I'm on my bike.

I've always believed the "motorcycle wave" is two fingers pointing down for "keep it on TWO wheels" and as a show of solidarity in the motorcycle community. May have started during the surge of WWII soldiers returning with motorcycles after the war, which was a tight group already.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

I believe you all have it wrong. 1st of all it isn’t a wave but a hand gesture with 2 fingers pointing down meaning “keep both tires on the road” instead of crashing. I constantly get it from other riders.

I've been riding since the mid 60's, and even back then many of us riders would acknowledge other riders with a wave of some kind. I'm never riding so hard that I'm afraid to take my left hand off the handlebars to give the two fingers pointing down to an oncoming rider, or group of riders. And if I'm in a situation where both hands are needed on the handlebars I'll nod my head or otherwise acknowledge the other rider. It costs me nothing and hopefully being recognized by a fellow rider will make him or her feel good. I see it as a sign of respect to other riders, just like always stopping to see if assistance is required if another rider is stopped on the side of the road. 99 times out of 100 the other rider is just stopped for a break or some other reason that does not requires assistance, but I have stopped for that one rider who required assistance and I was able to provided it, so all the other times were worth the little effort. We're a small minority brotherhood (which includes females) and recognizing other riders or offering assistance is a great way to support our small community.

Pretty clever! A good read. Regardless of bike or rider type... one of things I've come to learn is that SOME riders just don't see my wave. Could be a lot of reasons... but it's pretty easy to miss an arm/hand movement going past you if your glancing at a GPS, mirror(s), or using your BT connection to smartphone to carry one a conversation at-speed.

One thing I have noticed over the years is a certain type of rider... who is wearing a distinctive cut that might draw the attention of LEO... that rider is NOT going to wave back under any circumstance. Just say'n... they are tight knit...