I’ve mentioned this theory of mine in other posts. Not sure if it affects others, but I’ve busted myself a few times and had a couple of accidents too.

Risk creep is when one allows risk to incrementally increase in proportion to level of comfort with any bike (or sled, ATV, etc) as one feels more confident in pushing the machine a little closer to its limits.

Caught myself again today. At a red light, turning right onto a four lane divided highway, with vehicles cruising at 60-65 mph. I get a bit of a thrill pulling out when with cars closing in, on either Wing, accelerating quickly up to traffic speed without anyone even getting close to me. I popped the clutch, cranked the bars, and rolled on it. Rear tire hit the stop line and spun mid-turn causing bike to nearly fall over on the brake side. I threw my leg out to catch it, push up, and then straighten out and hammer on it.

After safely getting up to speed and clutching my teeth through a hip flexor cramp, I said to myself, “there you go again, pushing it more than you should. There’s no room for error on two wheels.”

Gotta remind myself to just relax and enjoy the ride ... no more thrill seeking ... I haven’t done well with those events on two wheels.