Risk Creep
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risk Creep

Risk Creep

I’ve mentioned this theory of mine in other posts. Not sure if it affects others, but I’ve busted myself a few times and had a couple of accidents too.

Risk creep is when one allows risk to incrementally increase in proportion to level of comfort with any bike (or sled, ATV, etc) as one feels more confident in pushing the machine a little closer to its limits.

Caught myself again today. At a red light, turning right onto a four lane divided highway, with vehicles cruising at 60-65 mph. I get a bit of a thrill pulling out when with cars closing in, on either Wing, accelerating quickly up to traffic speed without anyone even getting close to me. I popped the clutch, cranked the bars, and rolled on it. Rear tire hit the stop line and spun mid-turn causing bike to nearly fall over on the brake side. I threw my leg out to catch it, push up, and then straighten out and hammer on it.

After safely getting up to speed and clutching my teeth through a hip flexor cramp, I said to myself, “there you go again, pushing it more than you should. There’s no room for error on two wheels.”

Gotta remind myself to just relax and enjoy the ride ... no more thrill seeking ... I haven’t done well with those events on two wheels.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Times like that it’s hard to get your ass to let go of the seat.

I like your name for it. A similar situation found me turning my 1600 RoadStar really quickly into 90 degree exchanges between two two-lane roads. That bike was very comfortable dragging floorboards. I eventually folded them to the locking point and took the bike wide through a turn into a bit of grass. I had a buddy following me and he need not remind me that I had began to ride risky.

I think most riders do it to some point. Some more often than others and to more of an extreme. I'm bad about pushing it. And VStar you are right. There is enough risk in everyday riding. I probably won't quit but it don't hurt that you remind me about it. Might slow down some.

Thank you for the reminder, I tend to override the little voice in my head that says “be more careful”. It means more when you hear it from someone else and it hurts a lot less when you are able to learn from other’s mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I’ve mentioned this theory of mine in other posts. Not sure if it affects others, but I’ve busted myself a few times and had a couple of accidents too.

Risk creep is when one allows risk to incrementally increase in proportion to level of comfort with any bike (or sled, ATV, etc) as one feels more confident in pushing the machine a little closer to its limits.

Caught myself again today. At a red light, turning right onto a four lane divided highway, with vehicles cruising at 60-65 mph. I get a bit of a thrill pulling out when with cars closing in, on either Wing, accelerating quickly up to traffic speed without anyone even getting close to me. I popped the clutch, cranked the bars, and rolled on it. Rear tire hit the stop line and spun mid-turn causing bike to nearly fall over on the brake side. I threw my leg out to catch it, push up, and then straighten out and hammer on it.

After safely getting up to speed and clutching my teeth through a hip flexor cramp, I said to myself, “there you go again, pushing it more than you should. There’s no room for error on two wheels.”

Gotta remind myself to just relax and enjoy the ride ... no more thrill seeking ... I haven’t done well with those events on two wheels.
    Maybewhy thereare less and less of us ridders.

Actually I’m just the opposite right now. Sometimes overthinking and not just going with the flow of the machine and what it can do if my mind and body just go with the flow of the moment. Caution is good, but important to not overthink things!
    Last edited by F6Bster; 09-27-2019 at 08:05 AM.

I had a lower leg cast hung over my Valk in the garage for a few years to remind me to stay sane. I understand.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Or....you only live once, (but maybe not to a grand old age):

36DEABF5-9A86-4AE1-A38E-E9D19FC9FD58.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Actually I’m just the opposite right now. Sometimes overthinking and not just going with the flow of the machine and what it can do if my mind and body just go with the flow of the moment. Caution is good, but important to not overthink things!
    You’re not alone, F6Bster. I am susceptible to overthinking and overcaution as well. It actually increases chances of an accident, IMO.

I get past it by consciously putting those thoughts aside, reminding myself that those thoughts actually work against my safety and certainly enjoyment.