GPS Unit Vs. Cell Phone Navigation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Unit Vs. Cell Phone Navigation

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    For what it's worth, Google Maps can pre-download the area you'll be in while on wifi, so even when away from cell towers it'll work seamlessly. You can do it manually, but also if your login notices that you have reservations (hotel, flight, etc), it'll actually RECOMMEND downloading the area map for where you are headed proactively.
    Yes, the smartphone apps like Google Maps are getting better at downloading data ahead of time but, if you need to detour, you may not get the smaller road detail you'd already have with a dedicated GPS device.

Personally I'm using Google Maps on my Android and find it works well enough. I also use a Beeline which is a round 1.5" diameter route indicator device that mounts to your dash or handle bars. It Bluetooths to my phone which is safety tucked away in the left storage bin. The screen works GREAT in full sun and gives just enough info at safe quick glance to navigate your per-set route.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

You can’t beet Waze on the highway.
    You get more real time info than gps.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I use the Zumo 396. It's weather proof (at least much more resistant)

I tend to be in the rain a lot and would have to weatherproof my phone or get one of the newest greatest that's already waterproof.

For those that use your cell phone, what affect if any are you seeing in your battery? I think they are designed to be charged, unplugged and used vs run continuously on the charger?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I use the Zumo 396. It's weather proof (at least much more resistant)

I tend to be in the rain a lot and would have to weatherproof my phone or get one of the newest greatest that's already waterproof.

For those that use your cell phone, what affect if any are you seeing in your battery? I think they are designed to be charged, unplugged and used vs run continuously on the charger?
    I have a power outlet in the cubby so I run can run the power cord to phone on my Ram mount. Also used WAZE for up to the minute traffic info.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    For years, I've used a RAM mount system to use an automotive GPS unit. I recently started using the Beeline product; comparing its "following the arrow" method of guidance to the map guidance method of a traditional GPS unit. Unfortunately, the weather has turned here in the PNW.. so not too many chances to field test it fully. Will update the Forum at some point in the future....

Video

I'd be interested if the reviews were better. Sounds like there aren't any choices when it plots the route, fastest/shortest etc. Let us know how it works, I could be swayed.

For those who have the Beeline (OlyF6B and SeaSteve), I'd be interested to know where you mounted the device. Looks like a great option for those preferring a minimalist approach to getting from A to B.

I mounted my Beeline on the left side of the dash "shelf" using the stick on mount in the picture below. It sit's below the Instrument panel and to the left of the Radio digital screen.
    Beeline Mount.jpg

Imagine the bottom disk stuck to the "shelf" and the arm turned down so the Beeline disk is hanging vertically. I put it on the left side since my left hand is free more often to hit buttons. Could go on the right side.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 10-18-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Thanks billsim.

Have you noticed if your phone doesn't hold a charge as long when not plugged in? I know the phone people say the new lithium-ion batteries aren't supposed to be a fickle as the old ni-cad, but I've been distrustful of that. I tend to keep my phones for years vs upgrading like my kids do every year...

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    You can’t beet Waze on the highway.
    You get more real time info than gps.
    Yes. Used Waze a few days ago running from my place to Memphis. The "Police Activity Ahead" indicator came in very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Thanks billsim.

Have you noticed if your phone doesn't hold a charge as long when not plugged in? I know the phone people say the new lithium-ion batteries aren't supposed to be a fickle as the old ni-cad, but I've been distrustful of that. I tend to keep my phones for years vs upgrading like my kids do every year...
    I just upgraded from an Iphone 6S to the Iphone XR due to battery life. Battery life is way better but if I am using WAZE, I am leaving the phone on the charge cable.