GPS Unit Vs. Cell Phone Navigation

Thread: GPS Unit Vs. Cell Phone Navigation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For what it's worth, Google Maps can pre-download the area you'll be in while on wifi, so even when away from cell towers it'll work seamlessly. You can do it manually, but also if your login notices that you have reservations (hotel, flight, etc), it'll actually RECOMMEND downloading the area map for where you are headed proactively.

I do have an old Garmin in the saddlebag of my Wing, and the Garmin Motorrad Navigator that came on my BMW R1200GSA, but on both I use the phone as a GPS near 100% of the time. Did a ~1000 mile trip last week and never missed a beat even with no signal for extended periods. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    For what it's worth, Google Maps can pre-download the area you'll be in while on wifi, so even when away from cell towers it'll work seamlessly. You can do it manually, but also if your login notices that you have reservations (hotel, flight, etc), it'll actually RECOMMEND downloading the area map for where you are headed proactively.
    Yes, the smartphone apps like Google Maps are getting better at downloading data ahead of time but, if you need to detour, you may not get the smaller road detail you'd already have with a dedicated GPS device.

Personally I'm using Google Maps on my Android and find it works well enough. I also use a Beeline which is a round 1.5" diameter route indicator device that mounts to your dash or handle bars. It Bluetooths to my phone which is safety tucked away in the left storage bin. The screen works GREAT in full sun and gives just enough info at safe quick glance to navigate your per-set route.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.