Good Advice on Group Rides from RoadRUNNER Magazine

Thread: Good Advice on Group Rides from RoadRUNNER Magazine

Good Advice on Group Rides from RoadRUNNER Magazine

http://www.roadrunner.travel/2013/12...etition-place/

"If you participate in group motorcycle rides often enough, chances are you’ll
    eventually encounter the rider I’ll call 'over-confident Carl.' Carl is sure
    that he is the best, most experienced, and handsomest rider in the group (the
    world?) and feels the need to prove that point with his riding style. He will
    either insist on leading the group outright or start somewhere farther back, get
    bored, and execute a dangerous series of passing maneuvers so that he can
    properly obliterate the posted speed limits from the front of the pack. At
    lunch, he will 'jokingly' poke fun at other riders’ choices of bikes, gear, or
    riding styles. He will then regale the group with stories about his epic racing
    career (generally spanning the ages from 12-14) and blame his failure to go pro
    on some latent injury. The afternoon ride will be similar, with excessive
    speeds, suspect cornering skills, and, in general, lots of unnecessary risk.
    Riding with Carl is one of the surest ways to ruin an otherwise promising day
    in the saddle. The best thing to do when you’re riding with someone like this is
    to let him go on ahead, ride your own ride, and hope nothing bad happens while
    he’s reliving his racing career on your tour. The worst thing to do is to get
    suckered into an ego competition that has you trying to one-up each other both
    with your stories and on the road. Don’t fall for it; if you do you’ve just
    become Carl. Refuse to stoop to his level, the road is no place for an ego and
    it’s no place to prove a point of any kind. Trying to keep up with someone who’s
    riding too aggressively for asphalt populated by minivans, dump trucks, and
    pedestrians is a recipe for a lot of regrets. It’s just not worth it.
    Competition belongs on the track, let’s all commit to keeping it there."
    -Tim
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    2013 Honda F6B HR Signature Series (born 7/17/13; sold 6/25/16)
    2011 AB Trailer
    2005 Honda GL1800 Portland Gray Metallic (Gone), 2005 Honda VTX 1300R (Gone), 2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Gone)
    Darksider #858: Kumho Ecsta 195/55/16 with Dynabeads/Dunlop E3
    IBA #47379
    GWRRA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, I know that guy, and no longer ride in groups period.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Very true!

I tell everyone I'm stupid and slow,,, It's easy enough to 'deliver as promised' and 'Robbie Racer' can go happily on his own merry way.

Only have a couple folks I'll ride with anywho,,, I typically go out of my way to avoid groups,,,

I ride in groups all the time and now and then we get a Carl but he/she knows the leader and the sweeper.Most times he/she rides a few miles and not liking the pace and then takes off completely to never be seen again.Time to time we will see Carl again some other day and they always say the same thing the group rides to slow for them
    Ride it like you stole it