New (Really) Bikes from H-D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (Really) Bikes from H-D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New (Really) Bikes from H-D

I see that Harley Davidson is bringing out a pair of new bikes next year, both with water cooled V-Twins. There's the 975 cc 'Bronx' and the 1250 cc 'Pan America', an adventure bike. These are the most interesting (to me) bikes H-D has brought out since the V-Rod. Since adventure bikes seem to be the only bright spot in the industry, this could be a smart move.

Interesting indeed. However a long stretch from HDs previous target customer. I remember when HD ventured into dirt bikes sometime in the early 70s with 125cc models. If I remember HD rebranding another manufacturers bike with HD stickers.
    Edit. Found on u tube 1976 XST 125cc two stroke. Ringy dingy ding ding
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 11-06-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Interesting indeed. However a long stretch from HDs previous target customer. I remember when HD ventured into dirt bikes sometime in the early 70s with 125cc models. If I remember HD rebranding another manufacturers bike with HD stickers.
    Edit. Found on u tube 1976 XST 125cc two stroke. Ringy dingy ding ding
    I bought two new rebadged bikes back in 1972. A 1972 350 Sprint SS (single cylinder) and a 1972 125cc Rapido (street/ dirt). The bikes were fun but the vibration had me replacing the speedo and the tail light assemblies a few times. That was back in the AMF days.

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    I bought two new rebadged bikes back in 1972. A 1972 350 Sprint SS (single cylinder) and a 1972 125cc Rapido (street/ dirt). The bikes were fun but the vibration had me replacing the speedo and the tail light assemblies a few times. That was back in the AMF days.
    The first bike I ever fell in love with was a bud's 350 Sprint. We used to run into each other hill climbing and trail riding in the local spill banks. I had what a 12 year-old buying motorcycles with his grass mowing/snow shoveling/de-tasseling money could afford. An old 1960's 2 stroke Suzuki 80 with dual rear sprockets. My bike sucked but it was mine. My older bud's (he had a drivers licence and didn't have to hide from the police riding to the woods) 350 Sprint would climb any hill out there. I had scooter envy big time! At that time I planned on buying one as soon as I was able, quitting school and bumming around the country on it. Luckily I got my girlfriend knocked up and got married at 17 instead. That was in 1974. Three wives and untold motorcycles later, I've still got a soft spot for the 350 sprints in-spite of (maybe because of) never having owned one.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    The first bike I ever fell in love with was a bud's 350 Sprint. We used to run into each other hill climbing and trail riding in the local spill banks. I had what a 12 year-old buying motorcycles with his grass mowing/snow shoveling/de-tasseling money could afford. An old 1960's 2 stroke Suzuki 80 with dual rear sprockets. My bike sucked but it was mine. My older bud's (he had a drivers licence and didn't have to hide from the police riding to the woods) 350 Sprint would climb any hill out there. I had scooter envy big time! At that time I planned on buying one as soon as I was able, quitting school and bumming around the country on it. Luckily I got my girlfriend knocked up and got married at 17 instead. That was in 1974. Three wives and untold motorcycles later, I've still got a soft spot for the 350 sprints in-spite of (maybe because of) never having owned one.
    I loved my bike for just the same reason. "It was mine". Bike was great for riding offroad and had a lot of torque. Biggest issue was kick starting. Occasionally it would kick back and bang the hell out of your leg. Still loved mine.

The last thing I would want would be a low build quality adventure bike to leave me stranded out in BFE!

I was in my local Harley dealership last week looking for a harness for my electric gear. As I was leaving sitting next to the door was a 2020 Ultra Classic price on tag was $44,000 way to rich for me.

Over $40K for 1970s technology with a nice paint job. Loud, hot, unreliable.

Who said 'a sucker is born every minute'?

It was your local Harley salesman
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

That's funny. I don't care who you are.

BUT IT"S A HARLEY !! $$$$$$
    ride for 2 hours, work on it for 6 $$$$$.