7 year resurrection

Thread: 7 year resurrection

7 year resurrection

I am looking for some input on a project. I recently pulled a bike from storage after 7+ years. It was shelved due to a bad second gear. I loaded a battery into it pulled the choke and it fired and ran for about 60 seconds before I shut it down. Before tearing it down I wanted to explore the overall condition of the engine so I can do any “while you are in there” type repairs. The results are...

Test was done engine cold with a battery charger hooked up and throttle open. “Wet” test is with a squirt of sea foam fogging oil in each cylinder.

Book spec is 210psi (at xx? above sea level) and 10% leakage.

My question is, do I replace rings? While it didn’t make the compression numbers dry it did come into spec with the oil added. But then, doesn’t meet the leak down requirements. Leakage is on order most-least so majority of the air is escaping past the rings. How much of this do you think can be attributed to being shelved for so long? Bike ran great before I put it up (hence the blown up second gear). What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
    When that open road starts to callin’ me,
    There’s something over the hill that I gotta see

~Hank Williams

If you are going to have to split the cases to repair the blown second gear I would go ahead and check the cylinder taper and if still within spec I'd hone the cylinders and re ring them. If to much taper then a re-boar to the next larger size pistons and rings.
    Now on the other hand if the trans can be repaired without splitting cases and I was trying to cut down my repair cost, I think I would run the engine with the same rings. I think it all depends on how much you want to put into this bike and is it a keeper.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Thanks Larry. I was hoping to get your input.

Cases will be split however they are horizontal so no need to remove crank and pistons unless necessary. Cylinders are plated and it would not be worth boring and replating cost wise. I plan to keep the bike for quite a while as a hooligan/track bike and for some contrast to the B when I have the need for speed.

That being said, I don’t need to be the fastest bike at the track to have a good time. I just want to restore the bike to rideable condition while also restoring the dependability for years to come. I am quite certain based on your advice and what others have said I am going to pull the crank and make a determination once I have it all apart and do some measuring.

Thanks!

If you have less than 0.010" or 1mm taper on the cylinders... run it and enjoy.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/