Concerned with Tire wear
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerned with Tire wear

Concerned with Tire wear

I have excessive wear on one side of my tire. Center is fine. Its a Metzler 777 with 6500 miles.

Two questions:
    1. Why wear on only one side?

2. Does it need replacing?

tire2.jpg
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

I would definitely replace that tire. I have never had one wear on just one side prematurely , but if I had to guess the tire is balanced or the forks are out of alignment. There are plenty other people on this forum that I’m sure will chime in and help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    I have excessive wear on one side of my tire. Center is fine. Its a Metzler 777 with 6500 miles.

Two questions:
    1. Why wear on only one side?

2. Does it need replacing?

tire2.jpg
    The "crown of the road" will cause wear as you have described! Those who live on the other side of the pond i.e. England experience more thread wear on the "right side" of their front tires!

Tire is done. It appears you have been having a lot of fun in roundabouts. What’s the rear look like.
    Is it Shinko 777or a metzler 888.
    Last edited by Sorcerer; 11-20-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Yep that tire is not long for this world. I agree with Mooney, unbalanced or forks misaligned or maybe a faulty tire to begin with. Certainly more wear than the crown of the road or more left hand turns as some say would do. I do not recommend doing this but the wheel can be flipped and see if it starts wearing the other side. I ran that way for several hundred miles once before noticing I was backwards and did not appear to suffer any negative consequences. I have read about a wheel needing to be balanced across from side to side also if not even. I have seen shops put weights on the center line and sometimes stuck to one side more. Not sure how it really should be. I have had side wear before and just got a new tire ASAP. If it happens again with new tire suspect the bike other wise the tire.

Whats the latest preferred replacement tire? Im running a CT on the rear
    Last edited by Davidk; 11-21-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    The "crown of the road" will cause wear as you have described! Those who live on the other side of the pond i.e. England experience more thread wear on the "right side" of their front tires!
    I agree with Bob 100% !!! Discovered this from Honda Rune owners in England that were having the right side of their front tires wearing faster then the left side.
    Honda Rune owners in the USA and Canada were having the left side wear out faster. It didn't help that the crappy Dunlops came with only 7/32nds of rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Tire is done. It appears you have been having a lot of fun in roundabouts.
    When we turn left at intersections, lean and accelerate... we travel 40-60 feet on the left side of the tire. When we turn right, lean and accelerate... we travel 20-25 feet before returning to the upright position. The left side normally sees more pavement here in the USA. It is NOT an alignment/fork issue.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Wouldn’t more of us be seeing that same wear pattern if that was the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    Wouldn’t more of us be seeing that same wear pattern if that was the case?
    The "wider" the road, the less pronounced "crown" encountered, in most cases. Narrow country/secondary roads are "notorious" for "crowning" and will quickly induce uneven tire wear. As a "Dark Sider" I've discovered that a "Rear BattleAx BT45 Tire" is the answer for front tire longevity. Those who own Wing Trikes have been using the "Rear Ax" as front tires for years with great success. Some even "reverse mount" the tire!

If you do some research you'll find plenty of data on "Double Dark Siding" to include the actual "dissecting" of "front and rear tires" by yours truly!

That is not left hand wear due to crown or turns. Look close and you see what I know as scalloping, worn in spots rather than all the way around. Besides if crown or longer left hand turns do it then we all would have it. I would bet it is improper balance or defective tire. A Cobra was the last tire I had it happen on but not as bad as the OP picture. Now run Stones and has not happened.