Concerned with Tire wear - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerned with Tire wear

Road crown actually does make sense

I drive all narrow rural roads. Rarely any highway

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    That is not left hand wear due to crown or turns. Look close and you see what I know as scalloping, worn in spots rather than all the way around. Besides if crown or longer left hand turns do it then we all would have it. I would bet it is improper balance or defective tire. A Cobra was the last tire I had it happen on but not as bad as the OP picture. Now run Stones and has not happened.
    I agree with 2wheelsforme that the tire looks worn in some spots but not others AND with only 6700 miles on the tire??? I'm not familiar with the Metzler 777 but I've run 880 and 888's on Honda VTX cruisers and the wear was even. (EDIT: The wear was even...all the way around the tire on the left side more than the right side.)

First, all of my information comes from this GREAT write-up on tire wear of motorcycle. I also recommend Tires 101 from Bareasschoppers which links to the other site I provided. I think BIGLRY is even referenced on the site a few times.

In a nut shell...Normally, ALL front motorcycle tires wear more on the left or right side depending on what side of the road you drive on and it's due to leaning the bike in turns at intersections.

Road crowning CANNOT be the issue. Think about how much of an angle the bike and tire has to be at for the worn part to come in contact with the asphalt! The wear at that angle MUST be caused by a left turn, and here in the USA, it's largely due to the larger radius left turns we perform at intersections. Over time the larger radius and thus longer distance adds up by. We drive miles more in a left angle lean then right angle lean. Also the lean angle creates centrifugal force at an ANGEL to the tire. The ANGLED force removes more rubber from the tire than when it's straight up and down on the open road.
    Last edited by SeaSteve; 11-25-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    I agree with 2wheelsforme that the tire looks worn in some spots but not others AND with only 6700 miles on the tire??? I'm not familiar with the Metzler 777 but I've run 880 and 888's on Honda VTX cruisers and the wear was even.

First, all of my information comes from this GREAT write-up on tire wear of motorcycle. I also recommend Tires 101 from Bareasschoppers which links to the other site I provided.

In a nut shell...Normally, ALL front motorcycle tires wear more on the left or right side depending on what side of the road you drive on and it's due to leaning the bike in turns at intersections.

Road crowning CANNOT be the issue. Think about how much of an angle the bike and tire has to be at for the worn part to come in contact with the asphalt! The wear at that angle MUST be caused by a left turn, and here in the USA, it's largely due to the larger radius left turns we perform at intersections. Over time the larger radius and thus longer distance adds up by. We drive miles more in a left angle lean then right angle lean. Also the lean angle creates centrifugal force at an ANGEL to the tire. The ANGLED force removes more rubber from the tire than when it's straight up and down on the open road.
    Try riding the country roads of NE Pa. and you'll encounter "road crowning" you can't believe! You actually have to "lean left" to keep the bike up and that's no exaggeration. Depending where you live and what roads you ride and encounter has a direct impact on front tire wear as does the "road surface" i.e. fine/course macadam! Add in tire rubber compound and your have a varied receipt for tire wear/cupping. If tire balance was a issue those who use "BALANCE BEADS" and "RIDE ON" would never have cupping! If you follow the manufacturers instructions whenever installing the front wheel it states to "bounce the front end of the bike to align the axle shaft" and then secure the axle clinch bolts. That maneuver is missed by many riders who then receive less tire wear than anticipated!

Torq Loopz man. Torq Loopz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Torq Loopz man. Torq Loopz.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Low PSI can cause the sides to wear. Never heard of just one side wearing.
    Look at the AVON's = they make a tire just for GW's = great service, great ride, great mileage. Google AVON USA & call their 800# for the AVON P/N.
    Got F&R from Dennis Kirk @ my door for $299.xx. I really like dyna beads, 1oz F; 2oz R.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    Low PSI can cause the sides to wear. Never heard of just one side wearing.
    Look at the AVON's = they make a tire just for GW's = great service, great ride, great mileage. Google AVON USA & call their 800# for the AVON P/N.
    Got F&R from Dennis Kirk @ my door for $299.xx. I really like dyna beads, 1oz F; 2oz R.
    Low tire pressure will exaggerate the wear from crowned roads and turns on one side of a tire.
    Also, the bike spends a lot more time on the left side sitting in the garage.
    Last edited by billsim; 11-21-2019 at 06:38 PM.

Close to 200K on 6 bikes in 19 years and on pretty much the same roads day after day. All tires except for 3 or 4 wore perfectly in the center. Even had one that wore on the right side instead of the left. They all got replaced before the tread was gone mostly due to those wear spots caused the tire to bounce a bit. And it if was road crown or turns would it not be even all the way around the tire and not just in spots?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Close to 200K on 6 bikes in 19 years and on pretty much the same roads day after day. All tires except for 3 or 4 wore perfectly in the center. Even had one that wore on the right side instead of the left. They all got replaced before the tread was gone mostly due to those wear spots caused the tire to bounce a bit. And it if was road crown or turns would it not be even all the way around the tire and not just in spots?
    Something to help you understand your front tire! The next time you install a new tire, leave the front of your bike elevated! Take a "cinder block" and place it on one end approximately 1/2" from the front center on the tire. Have someone slowly turn the tire while you take a piece of white chalk, rest it on the block and "ever so slightly" move the chalk so it begins to touch the tire ( like using a "Dial Indicator" on a round object! You will discover that your "brand new tire" is not "perfectly round"! Move the block to the side of the rim/tire and perform the same chalk test to the tire sidewall and then to the side of the rim and see what results you get! I'm betting you will be surprised at the amount of "run-out" you observe i.e. the chalk contact/test! This is coming from a "Old Motor Head"!
    Last edited by bob109; 11-21-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    I have excessive wear on one side of my tire. Center is fine. Its a Metzler 777 with 6500 miles.

Two questions:
    1. Why wear on only one side?

2. Does it need replacing?

Attachment 7057
    That is definitely NOT Road crown wear. I would check up under the fender and I bet you will find rubber "tire grindings" remove the axle and I bet the forks are out of alignment.