Concerned with Tire wear - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerned with Tire wear

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    If you research the Metzeler 777....

Per the manufacturer ... it is a DUAL compound tire, with HIGH SILICA compound on the sides!

If you ever research multi compound tires, the SOFTER SILICA rubber placed on the side tread is for traction and the best rubber to grip the road. The NEGATIVE is that it wears faster then the CENTER harder compound rubber of the tire. Sport Bike tires are very sticky because of the HIGH SILICA content, yet don't last.

The Honda RUNE 2003-2004 Dunlops were a DUAL Compound tire and Dunlop discovered after 2 years that the FAT 910lb. Honda Runes were eating the softer SILICA based compound on the sides of the front tire prematurely. The Rear Tire was a single compound and wore evenly. They wanted the best traction but discovered that aggressive riders were LUCKY to get 3000 miles on these dual compound Silica front tires, riders not so aggressive were getting 4000 to 6000 miles on the front tires MAX ! Yet all of us were getting 8,000 to 12,000 miles on the same Dunlop rear tire.

From an Engineering report ......
    To understand the miraculous effects of the silica-silane mixture, one must understand that since the development of pneumatic tires, engineers have lived by a simple and immutable law – soft tire compounds get more grip, but wear faster and have high rolling resistance, while harder compounds wear slower and have lower rolling resistance, but get less grip. The inevitable tradeoffs that engineers must make between grip, rolling resistance and treadwear is known as the “magic triangle.” To properly balance these properties for a specific tire has been the goal of every tire engineer who has ever mixed a compound.

This Metzeler front tire has a SOFT rubber Silica compound on the side and is not designed to last on a F6B. Left turns will eat up these softer tires.
    Look at the METZELER photos attached where it explains the purpose of this DUAL compound, Metzeler shows you that the HIGH mileage rubber is on the center. Most riders buy for PRICE and not for what the tire is designed for. This tire does not belong on a F6B if mileage is what you are after.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    More images and information....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    More images and information....
    Tony:

Thanks for the "Priceless Narrative" with supporting pictures! Seeing is believing and paramount in "Quelling" old wives tales and assumptions" about "Motor Cycle Tire Wear"! The argument that "road crowning" has little or no impact on front tire wear is as old as the hills. Trying to educate folks of "left center cupping" is a real challenge and is like "Oil Debates"!

Regards

bob109

None of those pictures showing cupping just left side wear. Maybe another thing altogether than the picture in the OPs post. Many miles and many tires, most wear centered, very few did not, some did show cupping at the end of life but all were on the same roads over the years. I do believe left hand turns can wear the left side more than the shorter right hand turns and that improper pressure (under40) can increase wear. I think road crown plays little to nothing in how a tire wears. Google left hand tire wear, most, bike places, mags or someone with supposedly some expertise say it is a myth but many individuals on forums still throw it up as a truth. The OP pic is an extreme example of this scalloping problem and I bet has been run with very low tire pressures. TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT BUT THREE RIGHTS DO MAKE A LEFT. That might help your tire wear more evenly
    Last edited by 2wheelsforme; 11-22-2019 at 08:52 AM.

One more thing to consider might be the fact that the longer, wider radius left turn tends to be taken at higher speeds because you can! The F6B is heavy and at higher cornering speeds exerts a lot of force on the traction point on the tires. Years ago we ran Dunlop K91 tires on a 24 hour race bike at Nelson Ledges. Talk about tire side wear!!! The center looked almost new after over 1700 miles.

Wouldn't riding the twisties also involve longer left turns than right turns? There is going to be a lot more wear at speed in a curve than just making a corner. my .02
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by glryder98 View Post
    That is definitely NOT Road crown wear. I would check up under the fender and I bet you will find rubber "tire grindings" remove the axle and I bet the forks are out of alignment.
    Out of curiosity, how would you align the forks???

Maybe the axle is offset a tad or one of the spacers is installed backwards or on the wrong side.

Surprised it took the 3rd page before someone said something about Dual Compound tires. While I dont have the time or patience to find even more photos to support my argument, I will share my experience.

On 3 different motorcycles inside of the last 10 years, all of my front tires have had what looks like a flat angle on each side of the center compound. And I think that it may have been 3 different manufacturers, but no completely sure. The Triumph Sprint (standard/sport tour) had dual compound. It wore dunlop roadsmarts, and the suzuki c50 had metzlers. Dont remember whats stock on our bike. But all 3 have done the same on the front tire.

Dont know if this helps or not.

That could be forks misaligned,.
    Did you replace the tire and do ins4tall of wheel?
    Check the procedure for wheel install, there is a part where
    it talks about fork alignment.