Why is it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why is it?

This time of year when the "6" is all snugged up in the garage under a cover with the battery maintainer plugged in, full tank of treated fuel and a fresh oil change I really want to get out and brave the Winter weather and go for a ride. Yet from April until October I try to think of every reason possible to NOT go riding. I've only put 3,100 miles on her since Nov. 2017. Am I done?

Nah . . . I don't think you're done but you need to find what's missing for you from the riding experience. When you do head out do you ride solo all the time? If so, maybe you need to find a local riding group (or alternatively, one or two other like-minded riders) to connect with occasionally. Same thing with trips -- maybe plan two or three long weekend trips next season and commit to it. Charting new territory to explore is always a great way to reignite the riding 'spark.' Or maybe you're like me and just had a crappy riding season because of forces outside your control. My riding season is just six months or so (guessing it's similar for you in Indiana) and I did about the same mileage as you this past season. Nothing but local riding and one over-nighter. All long trips were put on the shelf. Just a fraction of what I normally manage. It was brutal. Keep the faith . . . there's always next season!

I remember a time many years ago when I rode every New Years Day regardless of weather to prove a point to my fair weather riding friends who spent more time polishing their chrome than riding. Now it seems like each winter my long distance riding friends and I spend more time talking about trips we want to take but end up actually riding less each year. Maybe our priorities have changed but weather and other obligations always seem to pop up to disrupt planned trips. I end up doing more solo spur of the moment riding and putting less miles on the bike than the year before. Am I done or just not hard core enough?

40C.jpg

I know... but on duty today the idea of cold.. well....

Living in Northeast Ohio, the riding season can be pretty short. I have extended my riding season to 12 months by adding heated gear (Gerbing) with the controls and plugs wired into the F6B.
    Now the only days I don't ride are due to road conditions (wet or salty). If the roads are dry and not too salty it is nice to get out for an hour or so.
    Get a lot of thumbs up and a lot of head shakers also. Fun.
    Heated gloves, pants and jacket allow me to ride even at single digit temps and still be toasty.
    Anyone else?

Here in Cali I ride all year....A good jacket and waterproof gloves/boots will do wonders....
    We are getting hammered with rain lately but I'm still on two wheels.
    a1scoot

Yeah, was in Ojai bout 2 wks ago. It's was a beautiful 85 degrees. Nice to have the bike out.
    Last edited by adventurous1; 12-07-2019 at 01:18 AM.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Quote Originally Posted by a1scoot View Post
    Here in Cali I ride all year....A good jacket and waterproof gloves/boots will do wonders....
    We are getting hammered with rain lately but I'm still on two wheels.
    a1scoot
    Yeah, was in Ojai bout 2 wks ago. It's was a beautiful 85 degrees. Nice to have the bike out.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

My B is my daily commuter. Like Billsim, I plug in my jacket, turn up the heat on the grips and away I go. The ride not only puts me into a better mood, but allows me to ride the HOV/HOT lanes without paying for the privilege of not sitting in traffic. Without it, my commute would go from 20 mins to an hour, easily.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Ditt billsim minus heated apparel.I got tired of bike sitting in garage 3 years ago.So, I bought freezeout baselayer plus first gear thermal suit and barracava mask.The f6b has great wind protection better than my bmw and the f6b was bike I started riding year round.People think I'm nuts .I think they don't know what their missing.# straight years tween 10 and 12000 miles in Ohio .I don't ride when salt on road etc.and do watch weather forecast before cause of sleet etc.